April 22 2008 Bass report w/pics (US water)

We fished the US side of Lake Erie yesterday for Smallmouth Bass (Open Year Round). WOW what a fishery! We started in the Upper Niagara. Water Temps were 36 degrees, with too much ice floating around still. Moved out into the Lake and found some pockets of water that were 53 to 55 degrees! This was the key.

314447549.jpg

314447545.jpg

314447547.jpg

Took us a few hours to local the warmer water and fish but when it was over we boated 64 or 65 smallmouth up to 4.5lb! We found the bass in 3 to 8 feet of water! all sight fishing.

314447535.jpg

314447537.jpg

314447542.jpg

314447543.jpg

For tackle we started with tubes 10lb test, 6.6 foot rods, but found the best bite was using mini crank baits with ultra lights and 4lb line. Talk about FUN!

314447656.jpg

314447654.jpg

314447538.jpg

See you on the River,

314447540.jpg

Cast Adventures

THAT LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!! I miss hammering smallies down at the bay....seeing reports like this make me not want to go north this summer and stay down in Long Point at my trailer......nothing is more fun than fighting smallies on an ultra light rod.....absolutely favourite fish in the world....thanks for posting!

That's sweet! Crazy thats theres water that warm already, are those yankee smallies spawning already? :lol:

-Ben

Hi Ben,

The areas we fished there was no signs of spawning yet. Seemed like they were just there because of the wamer water temps. The shallow rocks hold the heat from the sun, just like a heat rock for a pet snake :)

When they do go into spawning mode, we leave them alone and let them take care of business. Better to look for pre-or- Post- spawning fish.

Edited by Cast Adventures

Nice pics Paul!-must feel great after the long winter, I have to get out there this year!

Hi Mark,

Let's go! I'll work for Strike Zone Slammers!!! LOL

We were out again yesterday, (stay tuned for the report) Drop Shotting Slammers in deep water was the ticket!!! MAN THOSE BAITS CATCH FISH!!!

For all those members that haven't used these baits on bass before, Trust me THERE HOT! Smoke seemed to be the best yesterday on Erie.