Looking For New Rods

Ramble

Well i'm looking for a new Medium/Heavy and a medium spinning rod. I'm looking to spend $70-$90 on the medium/heavy since it will be my primary rod, and about $40 on a medium or a medium/light action rod.

I have done some surfing on the internet and i'm looking at Shimano's Clarus or Compre for the Medium/Heavy. Does anyone have any opinions on these 2 rod types? Is it worth spending the extra on $$ on a Compre?

As for the Medium action rod....I havn't search hard for it at all. I'm just looking for something with a sensitive tip for jiggin 'eyes. Other then that i'm open to suggestions. All opinions are welcome.

Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Thanks

-R-

Edited by Ramble On

I have 4 clarus's.......all great rods, I'd recommend them to anyone.

I have the med/heavy, and its great for smaller musky baits or bigger bass baits........Also have the med light clarus......my go to rod for everything!! Worth the money, and a lifetime guarantee....

Sinker

I think both the Clarus and the Compre are very good choices. But for the less than $30 difference, I'd go for the Compre. A bit lighter and a bit more sensitive, overall gives a better feel. If you can get your hand on a Rapala Signature, get one of those. The best under-$100 rod I have ever used. But they are discontinued. I got mine for about $80 and love it -- mine is a 7'2" M spinning.

Jackie

My Berkley Series One rods have been great to me. I'm planning on getting a Clarus this year. To decide whether or not the compre is worth the extra $$, bring your reel to the store and try it on the rods. You will find one that matches perfectly with good balance. That's one of the things that many people forget to do, bring the reel with them when they go rod shopping or vice versa.

I could ask for more sensitivity lolol I have a couple now and i actually broke one last year.....cut my hand all to rat poop when it went. I have yet too send it back. But now exams are over, and I have some free time to deal with it.

I'm looking for something a little classier then an ugly stick.... even though they do their job well.

-R-

St. Croix Avid would be my strong recommendation, but they're a bit more money.

Barring that I'd go with a St. Croix Premier. Just a tiny bit more money than the Compre, but head and shoulders better in my opinion. A fantastic rod with good warranty.

On a side note if I was in the market for a higher end rod I'd give Lorne Green a call at Loomis Canada in Mount Hope.

They're closing shop for good in July and I suspect there'll be a bit of a fire sale :) .

You never know, you might be able to pick up an IMX for a bargain price..

Cheers