Living on a flood plain....

Casey123

I real feel for all of you east of Toonto living in and arounf the Moria, The Trent etc., But I cannot figure out why, for the love of God, does the government let people build homes on flood plains.

And why do people buy them???

I can think of better things to do then fish in my living room, unless of course I am staying in an ice bungalow, which in this case it is morethen acceptable.

My entire town is on flood watch right now.

What were they thinking back in 1603 when they built a Hudson Bay Co. outpost here........ but wait, the town is still here and it floods every year.

Strange.

Didn't work out for Winisk one year though. Overnight... whole town destroyed and swept to sea.

Flood plains man... can't live on 'em and can't live without 'em.

I have no what they were thinking allowing people to build their. They had to spend millions to put in a whole series of dams to stop the Moira from flooding down town belleville in the spring. The Moira is always going to flood. IF you take a trip down here sometime, there is a lot of BIG silver maple swamps on wither side....except where there is rapids or people have built lol

-R-

Bushed here too guys...fell asleep about 6:30pm and woke up about an hour ago, (3am now) and cant sleep either after todays events.

I cant for the life of me figure out why folk would choose to live on mountains above great steel mills.. :whistling:

Im in the TrentValley....was told the last flooding was close to 30yrs ago but did not even come close to the 100yr water mark.

I do know this....My wife an I shopped for property all over the beautiful parts of this province..

Came close to calling Goderich, SturgeonFalls and Nipigon home...until we came across this paradise.

Any idea what it is like to wake up to the view we enjoy "NORMALLY' each and everyday....

..and the fishery ... :thumbsup_anim:

Not to mention ive also the BayOfQuinte, 10min down the road by truck or 6-locks by water from 'MY' dock you see in my avatar and the Kawarthas about 1hr north/west of me

Theres no haze or brown coloured skies or the 'whiffs' of industry....

Trees and Water only.

Oh Yeah.Turkeys...turkeys all over the place..plenty of deer sighted daily on our evening walks and one of the largest populations of falcons in the province.

You do have one good point tho...

Some homes were built far to close to the water and thats the folks we've been trying to assist.

Myself...Im a good 120' away....(well, except my workshop sadly)

I dont believe I whined about the flooding in my threads....just what was going on and hoping to hear from the others on the board who've been affected by the high waters.

Now I know who these guys are and hope to g2g with each and everyone of them this year for a little lure washing and fish stories....yeah, we'll probably discuss the flood too.

Cant have it all!

Hurricane Hazel went thru Toronto in 1954 and killed 88 people, mostly drowned when the Humber River overflowed her banks and washed the homes away. They rebuilt the homes, the people came back and life has been good for the last 54 years and Etobicoke is now one of the most beautiful neighborhoods anywhere .

Bad stuff happens in all parts of the world sometimes, but folks do the best they can.

Hurricanes every year from Florida to Louisisana, earthquakes & fires in California, Tornado Alley all the way from the Gulf of Mexico into Southern Ontario, brain numbing cold across the Prairies, but folks live and thrive in all those places.

If folks only lived in places where nuthin bad ever happened, there'd be an awful lot of vacant land in North America and about 350,000,000 people all jammed into a couple tiny "safe areas"

Hope no one gets me wrong, I understand and would love to live by a river BUT some rivers are famous for flooding, as is the entire Trent Severn Waterway.

Also it is called a flood plain for a reason :wallbash:

In additon to the nice views that the individual owner gets most of the year....

They also get putting their house, themselves and their families at risk for their personal saftey and the possibilty of finicial ruin.

In addition to this, it also costs the tax payers a lot of money. Everytime the provincial and federal government has to step in with relief, it costs all of us.

May I say Petebourgh circa 2004, and 2001 and 1997 etc. some of the home theire have been flooded 3 times in the past 10 years.

4reel...I didnt get you wrong Bud!

Not at all...and you raise some very valid points.

But, 5 of my 6 children have all grown and moved to their own places now and

the last will be most likely be gone shortly so it is just the wife an I.

My wife an I are both from the eastcoast...(NovaScotia)

She hails from the water on the north coast and me from the water on the south east coast.

Both of us from waterfront to waterfront.....and a somewhat more child friendly neighbourhood we lived in between that period whilst the kiddos were growing up until 2 yrs ago.

Lew said it very well and completely I felt in his reply above your recent one.

No offence taken and none given....well, maybe a slight jab about the mountain/steel plant....lol

May I say Petebourgh circa 2004, and 2001 and 1997 etc. some of the home theire have been flooded 3 times in the past 10 years.

Alot of the problems in Peterboro are caused by the lack of storm sewers in the city.

They get some very heavy rains and the sanitary sewers can't handle it all, so it ends up coming back up the basement floor drain. My buddy has been flooded out twice in the last decade and it had nothing to do with the Otonabee overflowing her banks.

Sure does make for an awful mess but fortunately the insurance was good for all the damage both times.

Infrastructure aside... you can look a piece of property and tell if it's on a flood plane. Society has too short a memory for stuff like flooding. The Moira floods every year, the question is always how much. I take advantage of it and go canoeing in the woods lololol

I don't blame people for living beside the river...i blame the gov'nt for letting them live their. At some point they need to step in and say enough is enough. They'd save money buying peoples homes and leveling it, then coughing up assitance every 5 years when we get a good flood. Then there is no ne has to go through the grief oh having their home flooded.

Basically my point is that the river isn't going to move. We should just adapt....and that doesn't re-engineering the river.

-R-

Hurricane Hazel went thru Toronto in 1954 and killed 88 people, mostly drowned when the Humber River overflowed her banks and washed the homes away. They rebuilt the homes, the people came back and life has been good for the last 54 years and Etobicoke is now one of the most beautiful neighborhoods anywhere .

Bad stuff happens in all parts of the world sometimes, but folks do the best they can.

Hurricanes every year from Florida to Louisisana, earthquakes & fires in California, Tornado Alley all the way from the Gulf of Mexico into Southern Ontario, brain numbing cold across the Prairies, but folks live and thrive in all those places.

If folks only lived in places where nuthin bad ever happened, there'd be an awful lot of vacant land in North America and about 350,000,000 people all jammed into a couple tiny "safe areas"

Yup I agree with you Lew. For instance Winnipeg. People forget but there was a disaster in Manitoba when the Red River flooded again. It was truly the Red Sea if you seen it in a helicopter. We the Military drove from Petawawa to Winnipeg to give assistance. Just getting back from Iraq and Croatia war zones, I never, never will forget what I seen when we drove to the outskirts of Winnipeg. When you see a a set of Red Lights from a Fire truck Blocking the Highway, right beside a McDonald's that is flooded and nothing but ocean, it was unbelievable and like a War Zone. It was truly an experience that I will never, never forget. Parts of the City was abandoned and when we entered, the river was still Rising. We sandbagged beside civilians, moved civilians from their houses, and arrested civilians. What amazed me though was how everybody helped each other. The Red Cross was there giving out Coffee and Donuts to everybody that was Sandbagging. There were water pumps everywhere. What I found out was that a neighborhood would get volunteers to go to another neighborhood and look after the pumps. Never looking after their own neighborhood. Picture this, as far as you could see, there is a wall of sandbags. But in front of one house that wall, would be a weak spot because that neighbor didnt put any effort. I heard so many complaints how one neighbor would punish the neighbor who was the weak link to the wall. As an example we the Army ( and Civilians) was sand bagging in front of Apartments working our Aholes off while this Idiot was drinking beers making fun of us. Finally our Commander had enough of us guys telling him how we would hurt this guy unless we did something about it so we packed up and left. I always hoped to this day that the Neighbors that we were sandbagging with did their own justice. I believe they did. We found ticked off farmers, digging explosives into the Dikes, as payback because their homes were sacrificed to save the City. I also found out that the Rich and powerful were out for themselves as we sandbagged the more expensive houses (MPs and MLAs) while their neighbors were left to fend for themselves. What I realized is that the Cops, Fire Departments, Hydro workers ETC are human as we soldiers worked beside them and listened to how they were worried about their own families, but there was nothing they can do because they had a job to do.

Edited by holdfast