Sturgeon Lake

Meely

Looking to try my luck on Sturgeon Lake this summer.

Its a lake that I have fished in the past but have never really had any major success.

Can anyone provide any general information on areas to try, lure types and/or presentations.

I am not looking for any "sweet spots" but a point in a general direction would be nice.

I have a boat and would really love to try my luck with "eyes" and of course Musky.

Any information would be appreciated.

Meely

last time i was their i knocked the crap out of the wallys with a black and silver walleye demon thats DEMON not devil. heres a link http://www.lurenet.com/productdetail.aspx?id=7672 it was a deep diving version with a ball bearing in the lip. also worked good on big smallies. we just fished on the edge of weed beds all day long.

Some typical areas to fish are Goose bay, Long Beach, Sturgeon Point, Emily Creek area, McConnell island, Hawker's bay. We have caught ski's on bucktails, Beleivers and various perch style baits. The majority of eyes I have caught have been on twister tails, shad style plastics and the good ole leech, working weedlines or deeper rock structure. Sturgeon also has a good bass population, both smallmouth and largemouth. I know Big Cliff lives on the lake as well as ECMilley, they should be able to assist further.

Tom

I dock my boat on Sturgeon, and fish it a lot, for years.

I have fished all the spots mentioned above, but I stick to the southern end of the lake and do great on eyes and musky. I don't target bass at all.

I find if I stick to water I know, I do very well. If I start to tour around fishing other areas, my success goes down. Goose bay area up to sturgeon point is all the water I need to fish.

Black/orange spinner baits for musky, and white or yellow 3" berkley power grubs on a 1/4 oz head is really all you need.

If you'd like any more info, let me know. I'm very familiar with the lake.

Sinker

All the above areas are good but learning how to fish them can take some time. I mostly fish the same areas as Sinker as that is where I live, Snug Harbour. I don't fish musky but catch quite a few every year while fishing walleye so I can't really help you much there. If you want to drop by some time I can sit down with you and a chart and give you what help I can. Might even be able to show you a spot or two and give you some ideas of how to fish them.

Sounds like the making of a little M&G guys!

I'll be there for pickeral opener for sure. Then hit simcoe a few times for the whities and lakers, and then I'll be at the marina for the rest of the summer......well, mostly. If your headed up there, shoot me a pm, I'll give you an up to date report on where/what's been working for me.

Sinker

Unfortunately my trips to Sturgeon lake may have come to an end. The resort we stayed at in the past is no longer open. Looks like our group may move down Buckhorn lake. If you purchase a chart of the Lake, you will find some additional areas, humps, weed beds, that will hold fish.

Good luck,

Tom