Steelhead Equipment Info

Hey guys...I've never fished steelhead in the streams/creeks/rivers but this has been something I've really wanted to get in to for a long time and this is the year I'm finally going to do it. I know steelheading is a very sensitive and secretive topic and for good reason, but I hope someone can answer some of my questions (even by PM if need be). I've found my river and found some major access areas to it off of main roads. I'm not looking for spots as I know this river holds many steelhead, and half the fun is walking the banks into more remote areas and finding holes that hold fish, so my questions are mainly about equipment. I'm a recent university student of 5 years (one of those being in Australia) so saying that i have a lack of funds would be a complete understatement...here's the main gear I have to work with.

8'6 Shakespeare Catera medium action

Spinning reel with 8 lb CX premium P-line Flouro carbon coated

small hooks, splitshots, barrelswivels, slipfloats etc. (and if I don't have it it's cheap enough that I can afford)

Rubber mesh landing net

Water proof boots

Polarized sunglasses

and Patience

I plan on fishing with a slip float (or other float if suggested). I don't mind buying some things if needed of course (like line, types of hooks etc.) but need to stick to the hardware I already have if possible and make the most of it. Now here's the questions...

1. What kind of setup/rig should I be looking at (leader, weight, bait, depth etc.) with the rod and reel and type of fishing I hope to do

2. Is there a certain clarity the water should/shouldn't be for optimal fishing. The river is flooded and running pretty fast and muddy right now, so I'm assuming this is not good at the moment.

3. If I do run into someone else fishing the river, what are the ethics of have far to keep away?

4. In general, what am I looking for on a river to give me an idea that there might be fish in this spot or that spot (fallen trees, change in flow, boulder etc?)

Thanks alot for reading and I hope to learn about this as I'm very excited to get into steelheading on these rivers and streams. Like I said it's something I've always wanted to do but never got around to it. If I asked any question that is asking for too much info, forgive me, I have no clue.

Thanks

Peter

Edited by PickerelHunter

1. What kind of setup/rig should I be looking at (leader, weight, bait, depth etc.) with the rod and reel and type of fishing I hope to do

SEE MY POST ON SPLIT SHOT RIGS....IT WILL GIVE YOU A PRETTY GOOD, IDEA...

2. Is there a certain clarity the water should/shouldn't be for optimal fishing. The river is flooded and running pretty fast and muddy right now, so I'm assuming this is not good at the moment.

WAIT ATLEAST A DAY OR SOMETIMES 2 AFTER A GOOD RAIN BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT....YOU NEED ATLEAST 6-8" VISABILITY FOR OPTIMAL CONDITIONS IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES

3. If I do run into someone else fishing the river, what are the ethics of have far to keep away?

GIVE THEM ATLEAST 10 FT ....ANYWHERE YOU HEAD OUT NOW WILL HAVE ATLEAST A HALF DOZEN PEOPLE, SO JUST STAND BACK FOR A SECOND AND ANALYZE THE SITUATION BEFORE JUMPING IN.....KEEP YOUR DRIFT IN SYMITRY (that can't be spelled right) WITH EVERYONE ELSE IN THE POOL

4. In general, what am I looking for on a river to give me an idea that there might be fish in this spot or that spot (fallen trees, change in flow, boulder etc?)

DEPTH !! LOOK FOR POOLS DEEPER THAN 2 FEET AND YOU SHOULD FIND FISH....USUALLY WHERE THE RIVER MAKES A BEND YOU WILL FINDA DEEPER SECTION.....I CAN GET A LOT MORE TECHNICAL BUT ITS SOMETHING THAT COMES WITH EXPRERINCE AND SOME FOOT WORK

OH YA AND MOST OF ALL PICK UP THIS BOOK CLICK ME

Everything above will get you started with the fishing, I would use a smaller diameter leader on your 8# main line when the colour of the water is lighter than olive green, perhaps 4 or 6#.

I like using surgical tubing on my float so I can constantly adjusting the length of the leader just by moving the float up and down the line instead of untying and retying the stopper on a slip float. Always keep your bait drift very close to the bottom. Spring trout especially drop-backs love the small garden worms.

Good luck and “fish on”.

Probably no help to you, never fished for them in the spring, fall only and here in Ohio out of a boat. I have gone up some rivers here to the point I could go no farther. Like mentioned deeper pools are the best bet, and since I was more or less bass fishing ones with junk in them seemed to hold more fish, logs and stuff. Undercut banks, tree roots, makes for some fun trying to land them though.

All of mine have come on bass tackle, 6 to 7 1/2 foot medium action or heavier rods, a mix of spinning and casting and 8 to 17 pound test line, lures only. Tubes, small crankbaits, jig and grub.

I have to second using surgical tubing instead of a slip float.... I just started float fishing last year and did quite well with a slip float. However the ease with which you can remove and change floats with the tubing is a big advantage.

Today where I was the fishing was very slow so I took the time to try about 5 different floats just to see the difference in speed they provided. If I had to retie everytime I did that it would mean way too much time out of the water. Also it is a heck of a lot easier to change a float with tubing in the middle of a river with a rod tucked under your arm than to retie using a slip float.

Thanks for all the information guys, it's really helping me get an idea about this.

Just a question....can someone explain this surgical tubing as a float thing? I'm a bit confused about it. Sounds great if you don't need to re-tie but can't grasp the idea

Thanks for all the information guys, it's really helping me get an idea about this.

Just a question....can someone explain this surgical tubing as a float thing? I'm a bit confused about it. Sounds great if you don't need to re-tie but can't grasp the idea

And can someone post some pictures of their slip floats? I've never fished for trout before, would love to visualize the terms and setups I've been reading about....

Here's an example...

pic2.jpg

The tubing comes with the floats that I buy...or you can buy a length of it and cut as necessary.

The second tube above the float is for holding a night stick if fishing at night...you'd be surprised how many of those things fly off when you cast...LOL.

Edited by ccmt

To expand on Cliff's explanation, pass the line through the two or three lengths of tubing, then tie on a small ant swivel, then your fluoro leader and hook.

The float you select is then attached to your line by putting the tip and foot of the float into the tubing pieces, this way you can slide your float up and down the line easily.

I use those floats as well. They are also known as phantom floaters. I just started trout fishing myself and Im actually having a slow start but learning quick.

Just below the float at the bottom, u will want to put a splitshot so that float points down and doesnt float on its side.

Ive also heard about 'tapering' the weights. I can somewhat see it in the picture above. Can someone explain this further? or how to do it and how it works?

Also im from toronto and the actual season doesnt open to the end of this month correct? so i technically cannot fish above highway 2? im really confused about this because people are telling me not to fish key spots.

Plus does anyone know spots where a beginner can test it out?

Plus i just joined this site...think iits GREAT...and this thread has already helped me and backed up some of my knowledge.

THANKS GUYS!

Looks like I have a lot to learn on the subject, and getting out and trying will be a big learning step for sure.

jdmls recommended the book "Steelhead Float Fishing" which I plan on getting....is there any others some of you experienced fisherman could recommend?

Thanks

PH

Looks like I have a lot to learn on the subject, and getting out and trying will be a big learning step for sure.

jdmls recommended the book "Steelhead Float Fishing" which I plan on getting....is there any others some of you experienced fisherman could recommend?

Thanks

PH

I just picked up that same book that jdmls mentioned....it's a GREAT read if you're getting into this kind of fishing. Start with that, and supplement as necessary if you still have questions.