Question for Grand River fly fisherman

Marko

Hey Guys and ladies.

I would like to try fly fishing at grand and i am just wondering what fly size would i be better off trying to catch some browns.

I have a choice of sizes: small size is between 16 and 22 or

medium size is between 8 and 16.

Any info would be appriciated

thank you in advance.

I am going to be fishing that stretch from Bellwood down to Elora if wondering

Conditions change daily, best bet is to stop by Troutfitters in Fergus the day of your trip, they'll have current conditions, whats hatching, best flies etc all posted. I alwys buy a few of whats hot that day from troutfitters, its like bait LOL

If you're lucky Ken Collins will be in to give you advice.

I'd like to try that this year as well, so I'll be watching this post like a hawk. Here is a great site on fly fishing the Grand, check it out. It's a great read and Ian is a VERY helpful and witty guy. Here's the site http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/ .

You might see him occasionally hunting carp down around St.Marys too. He's a very entertaining guy.

It was kinda funny the first time I saw him down there. I was wading tossing out Rapalas kinda halfheartedly, just relaxing, and saw these two flyfisherpersons down the way a bit so I stopped to admire from a distance. My first thought was that the guy didn't really have much of a knack for this flyfishing stuff. He just flicked the line back once and then forward, no false casts. Bear in mind I was, and still am, a rank amateur in the art of flyfishing. I've since learned that Ian's not a huge proponent of false casting. Says it's just a way to spook the fishies.

Speaking of Ian, if you can find a copy at your local library get his book. It's a funny read and kinda interesting because it's about our own turf - err - water.

JF

For those of you who havent been for awhile, TF's has moved to their new location at the Fergus Market.

Its right on the river downtown Fergus.....damn good spot to stop is the Goofie Newfie for some beers and lunch.

My old local watering hole when im not fishing!

This whole opener has me missing home like crazy.

Hey Guys and ladies.

I would like to try fly fishing at grand and i am just wondering what fly size would i be better off trying to catch some browns.

I have a choice of sizes: small size is between 16 and 22 or

medium size is between 8 and 16.

I actually think I can help here...lol

I was with a guy in the fall who caught a nice brown with a small size fly. I even remember the colour of it too :)

Good Luck...they sure are pretty fish.

Thank you guys for your replies, its appricated.

Thats an interesting read about Ian collins and gives u some pointers, as well as some good pointers in here as well.

Now all i need is for season opener to come so i can get my waders wet.