How do you launch your boat 2 ?

icefisherman

I was reading with great interest the other post about methods of launching your boat but most everyone there talks about bunk trailers. What about roller trailers as I have one of those now.

I mastered the exercise with the bunks on my old boat but have never tried roller trailer so any and all advice is welcomed as the new season is getting close.

I am thinking of adding the Fulton 44" side roller guides onto the trailer to help me out and prevent hitting the boat into the inside of the trailer fenders.

Would be great to read some of your personal experience in a step by step process similar to the other post with the bunks. Maybe even some pictures :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Ice, i believe with roller trailers it makes a difference based on your boat, i had a light 18ft`er once that was a pain till i put the guide poles on each side to stop the drift, but now with my big ole heavy 5000# 23fter, on rollers i can launch and reload on my own probably quicker and easier than someone with an 18ft aluminum, the main issue is centering the boat when your rollers are 4 foot below water, a smaller lighter boat wont sit on the rollers till you start to draw forward thats were the guide poles really help, i can actually drive my boat 75% onto the trailer and then winch it up the rest of the way, as they say practice makes perfect :thumbsup_anim:

cheers

ian

All depends on the ramp. At the cottage It is a very slight incline. I usually unhook everything and just back into the water and stop. Usually rolls off nice and easy. Here at home we have very steep ramps. For this I undo everything except the winch strap. Back down the ramp to the bumber of the truck to get deep enough that the boat will not "drop" and hit bottom. Get out and crank it out till it floats.

I have been able to drive onto the trailer and have the boat stick so I can grab the winch and load it myself. Have not tried this here yet, I usually just crank it onto the trailer here as it is so steep the boat will slide off before I can get to the front.

I have a 17 foot modified aluminum jon bass boat with a roller trailer. I know, bad, but it works for now.

ahhhhh roller trailers picked up a customers boat upon his request from his yard,he loaded it originally from the water,got pulling it home went up a fair size hill close to my house ,got to the top of the hill looked in the mirror NO BOAT ,oh dammm I though trailer fell off ,nope strap broke ,damage was done so i shoved the trailer back under neath popped the bow up and winched it back on with the rest of the cable ,then had to go home and make the dreaded call,alls well thou that was a few yrs and a few hours of free labour and fiberglass materials

Edited by 2 Tone Z71