cottage country ice fishing

rhare

Spent the weekend in the near north once again trying my luck for some Lakers. What a great weekend to be out on the ice. The sun was bright, temps were perfect. ( even though I still fished in my hut!) The fish seemed off but we still managed to ice a bunch. Lost a few hogs to boot.

All fish came on spoons, I gave up with minnows long ago and only use hardware. mostly Williams icejigs in 1/2 and 1/2. Couple of my buddies missed fish on minnows but just little guys.Something new for me was watching a big laker through my hole take swipes at my spoon maybe 4ft down in 120fow. he kept missing the spoon and after a min or so lost interest. It was a really cool to watch. Next morning I have the same thing happen, only a little smaller fish. didn't get him either. That being said. I caught all but one of my fish between 50-15fow in 120fow. I found that the bigger more aggressive fish where cursing higher up. Everything that marked high on the finder would chase the lure and hit. Hope I can make one more trip for some splake next weekend, weather dependent. If I dont not a bad way to end the year.

setting things up

100_1144.jpg

first one of the day, he had a fat belly.

100_1139.jpg

100_1141.jpg

Dan with one

100_1146.jpg

100_1149.jpg

100_1150.jpg

A nice surprise at the end of the day. It was a heavy fish between 8-10. quick pic and away she goes.

When I first it at the hole it was covered with parasites. looked like weeds gowing off its back down towards its tail.

I told my buddy to tail it and he looked at me stright faced and said "are you serious"

after a few more runs and some line wrap they all most all came off.

My friend had one to the hole in the middle of the week that was twice as thick I just couldnt get my hand on the fish. It was hugh at least 15lbs.

Then the hook catches in the ice and the fish rips itself free. she doesnt fish much so I think I was more disappointed then she was.

100_1153.jpg

100_1152.jpg

100_1127.jpg

100_1129.jpg

100_1134.jpg

100_1131.jpg

Ryan

Guest skeeter99

**When I first it at the hole it was covered with parasites. looked like weeds gowing off its back down towards its tail**

what you are seeing on the trout is lice ie. sea lice, very common and not much to worry about, seen it tonnes of times

the trout in lake rosseau and joseph are quite bad for this

Great stuff Ryan ! Almost missed this post amongst the rhetoric!

I DID MISS THIS POST lololol

Awesome trip. Lakers are one of favourite fish, and i love too see them. Good luck chasing splake...careful arounf the inflows.

-R-