Port Burwell Channel (Lake Erie)

ChrisK

A good friend sent me this and asked if i could share it with everyone on our board...I hope things turn out for the best....

If anybody fishs Port Burwell we need your HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The harbour is a disgrace! It should have been dredged out years ago, and to make things even worse, now when the pier lights burn out they are not replaced. A boat run into the west pier last year in the middle of the night and the people on board were just lucky they were not killed.

On April 17 at 5pm there is going to be a gathering at the municipal office of Bayham Township in Straffordville and we are going to voice our concerns about the conditionof the harbour. Bring your friends,family anyone you can, the more and louder the better. Im sure im not the only one sick and tired of my hard earned dollars being waisted.

Its too bad someone from the OFAH could not show up, we need all the HELP we can get.

Pass this on to everyone you now, and we will see you there

Thanx !!!!

Hi Muskiestudd

I'm interested in the channel/harbour

Is the municipality responsible for the condition. It was my understanding at one time that it was a Federal issue? Or are you using the municpality as an avenue to whomever is responsible..???

Thanks for your info.

Cheers

Craig

Thanks for posting Chris, unfortunately I have to work.

For those that have not experienced Burwell, it's outrageous. Even for those that know the channel, it's a crap-shoot at the best of times. There are some areas I would estimate as being less than a foot deep but you can't see bottom even at that - it is so silty.

I know of two people that lost motors after launching from Burwell (speedtroll & icefisherman). While it could be debated whether or not the conditions had anything to do with it, I'm not taking the risk with my boat.

It's a shame this port is in such a poor state.

If anyone wishes to take this to the federal level as it falls under the responsibility of Fisheries and Oceans Canada...

The Honourable Loyola Hearn

HOUSE OF COMMONS

Minister of Fisheries and Oceans

Parliament Buildings, Wellington Street

Ottawa, Ontario

Canada, K1A 0A6

I remember fishin Port Burwell as a kid, mostly the pier for perch, but on occassion, into the river/creek for some cats. It was it seemed, forever being dredged back then as well. So many of Erie's tribs get filled in so quickly... not surprised by this at all.

Hopefully the powers that be will take care of it!

HH