way up north

robinwood

My son may have a summer job in Ft Smith NWT - I want to equip him with a rod reel and small tackle pack before he goes.

This area is way UP THERE, might I assume this is the kind of area where you cast anything into a river or lake

and likely will get a hit ?

Bug spray too I guess!

Anybody have any experience up there - not fly in - just casual local fishing !?

appreciate any suggestions -

ps. received new cabelas fishing catalog - great reading for the Throne room!!

With just one rod and reel, I'd say go medium spinning and maybe have 2 spools of line. 6lb and 10lb or 8lb and 12lb line depending on his confidence with the set-up and the type of fishing/fish available. My experience with the the Territories was that if there was fish in a particular area they'd hit just about anything. Standard stuff would be spoons and spinners small to large and a handful of jigs.

River through Ft. Smith is very cloudy with sediment and has fluctuating water levels. (clay belt area) Pike will bite almost anything shiny...find a pool of calmer water with a few overhangs and let current carry shiny spoon or red devil into it. Depending on bug tolerance, would recommend mosquito hat with mesh. Bugs were so numerous they would find their way into vehicles through fresh air vents. Mosquitoes come out first, then black flies - reverse of in the south. Good opportunity to determine which one of your favourite repellants works the best!

There is great telescopic rods that come in a case,and are great just for that kind of adventure,he needs,a good quality wind-up flashlight too,as well as calomine lotion for bug bites,and take some mepps spinners,and some assorted sizes of rapalas,and a good pair of polaroid sunglasses,and of course sunscreen...moosbunk and some other members live almost that far north,and go on fishing trips way into the bush for days at a time,and do it pretty regularly,so those guys would know exactly what to bring with him,for life that far north !!! good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: