Carb Cleaner?

huntervasili

Hey all, I have an older Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin and was just double checking to make sure that spraying carb cleaner and adding carb cleaner to the fuel is ok for this old 2 stroke. Just wanted to double check as the Mechanic I spoke to said he was not 100% sure. Thanks in advance

Bill

spraying carb clnr into your carb will well do almost NOTHING,it will clean the throat of the carb basiclly if ya wanna do something get some BRP/OMC Carbon guard for your fuel and get your self a can of BRP/OMC engine tuner and follow the directions on the can ,you will not belive the poop that will come out of your engine the next day,put in new plugs after the clean out and it will run a lot better,if your gonna use carb clnr (engine tuner) is the nuts for this, remove the carb dissasemble and let it soak overnight reassembly with maybe a new needle/seat for idle quality and few bucks in new gaskets and your all set

Bill use the seafoam product regular carb cleaner will strip te oil off of the pistons and you can stick a ring or damage it. The chances are low but why take a chance. Use the seafoam as per the directions to mix it with the gas/oil mixture. A little down the carb will clean the throat but it is not going to clean the fuel passages ie carberator etc.. After the run replace the plug and fuel filter both will be dirty as can be. You might also consider getting a better grade of oil if you are carboning up quickly. I have run Marine amsoil 2 stroke oil for years with no fouling or issues with gunk.

Uncle Arttie

Edited by aplumma

It all depends on what you want to do...cleaning the throttle bore with carb cleaner is about the only thing that i would recommend and even be carefull doing that to a two stroke...For cleaning the carberator a dismantal and soak is the best way to go.. Now for dcarbonizing the combustion chamber is all together different,,for that i would recommend an approved cleaner in your gas.

I'd run the seafoam thru it. The stuff works wonders. Try it, you'll be impressed.

The mercury power tuner can be used in a Johnson as well, and its available at any merc dealer. It comes in a spray can, and you spray it right down the carb until it stalls out.......let it sit for 15-30 mins, then take it for a rip at WOT.......it always blows my mind how much crud comes out of the engine......and it really smooths out the idle on mine. I do it every fall before I put it away.

P.S.....I put seafoam in every tank of gas in my boat. It also works as a stabilizer for the fuel.

Sinker

If your problem is at idle then nothing you spray in the carb will fix it. A fuel treatment might, but don't hold too much faith in it. However, a decarb is worth doing anyway so do it first and if there is no change then its time to clean the carb. Of course, this is assuming that you have already tried setting the low speed adjustment on the carb, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

NAPA up on the mountain has Seafoam. I like to buy my parts at Bay City Marine on Hester.