Lowrance Lcx17m....opinions ?

lew

Morning boyz, I'm looking to buy my 1st GPS/Sonar unit and was looking at this one and wondering if anyone has this model, or has any 1st hand opinions on the unit.

I'd prefer color , but I'm after the larger screen and for the difference in price, I can be very happy with the monochrome.

I'm mainly interested in the Kawarthas and across to the Ottawa /St. Lawrence River area and understand the Navionics Gold card would serve my purpose, or even the new platinum, but I'll be getting that later.

It's on sale for $500 U.S.......whatdya think ??

LowranceElectronics--MarineProducts.jpg

I'm sure you're gunna do right by it, Lew. I have the LCX 25C which I have not used yet....starting in the spring...but I saw it in action on Marc's boat this past season....really a heavy duty piece of technology.

ps. That's an excellent price.

Hi Lew the 17 is a good unit,basically with color you are doubling the price and a little over,but you also get more power which allows you to read higher definition on your screen,fish lying on the bottom etc

You will be happy with the 17 ,color is eye appealing but overall I think any of the big units are good that lowrance makes,always had one ,always used one,to this day my probs are minimal to none

Some guys play more with the functions,once mine is set up for my own use,I don't play with it much other than icons and sensitivity

I think on the lowrance site you can compare units,as for price,seems good to me

That's a good deal Lew. 3 years ago they were $1200 or so!!!

Make sure you get the Navionics chip to go with it so you can have mapping for St. Clair, Ottawa River, the Larry, Niagara river (upper and Lower), and the entire Trent waterway.

Good Luck with it.

JP

Thanks Marc & JPD

I've also talked to a couple friends who are familiar with the unit and everyone agrees it's a good deal. It was thru Cabelas and was the last one they had on sale, so I went ahead and ordered it and will have it in a week or so.

Next item will be the Navionics chip.

Lew, I just called Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock and asked him about that price, he said it was good but the units are long gone off the market. Further to that he has an Eagle Fishstrike 2000 color combo GPS/Finder for $900 can. including the taxes. You are probably looking at $700 plus duties for the X-17 with taxes and exchange. This could be a good deal for you.

By the way, the Navionics chips with all of the lakes in it...the Gold Plus is $249.

Hope this helps but it probably confuses things a bit more ;) (sorry)

JP

Hope this helps but it probably confuses things a bit more ;) (sorry)

JP

Not to worry JPD, I'm from the old school and ANYTHING electronic confuses me :lol::lol:

That Gold Plus will be the chip I'll be getting and thanks again for your help.