Spooling Line for First Time

Andrew

After picking up some new gear at the Sportsmen show I'm trying to put line on for the first time. In the past I've always just taken the spool to the tackle shop and had them put it on, however I thought this time I'd try it myself.

The first spool I think was a success, doesn't seem to be any problems (maybe because it was braid?) On the second spool I put 12LB Spiderwire Super Mono. It all seemed to go on fine, however when I went out into the back yard to test that one out, the line kept coming off in bunches. At first I thought maybe I put too much on, but after taking a bunch of it off it was still happening. Could this be because the line was twisted when I put it on? Before I make another attempt I would like to know if that is likely the problem or not so I don't go through the same thing again.

Thanks,

Andrew.

yup... is it spinning or is it casting.

If casting it comes off with a pencil through it... Spinning has to come off the spool of line and continue to go on your spool the same way... so if your reel spools clockwise which basically all of them do, you want to have the line come off counterclockwise... if that still twists then flip the spool over and try that way. Some lines are just spooled really poorly and will twist, this is when you basically deal with it or chuck it.

Andrew, try this. For Mono, take your reel and put it in hot water for 3 minutes. The memory of the line will change to suit your reel. Make sure the water is hot enough to soften up the line. It does nothing to the strength of the line, it only basically reshapes the line to your reel.

Have a go.

I think this tip is on the Facts of Fishing Website too.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Andrew, try this. For Mono, take your reel and put it in hot water for 3 minutes. The memory of the line will change to suit your reel. Make sure the water is hot enough to soften up the line. It does nothing to the strength of the line, it only basically reshapes the line to your reel.

Have a go.

I think this tip is on the Facts of Fishing Website too.

Hope this helps,

Mike

This does work to make the line stay on your spool but will NOT get rid of line twist. if you put your line on backwards, your not gonna have a fun day on the water. Good tip though Mike, forgot to mention that.

Yeap.... been there done that have several of the t-shirts. I used to buy cheap line and this always happened. There is a way to correct the twist in the spool if you have a boat just let it all out behind you and rewind. (not an option right now though) If you live near a long pier you can attach the line to something walk about 100 yards and turn around reeling it in. OR if you have a second spool for the same reel and all quality reels come with one you can just respool it on to the spare then the put it back on the original spool the right direction. I usually put on about 30 handle cranks and see what happens, before filling the spool. I do find though since I started using an ice rod to put the line on and I use a folded up paper towel to press the line against the rod to keep tension on the line while spooling I never have a problem. (I spool 2 times a year on 5 reels x 2 spools that hold over 300 yds and each season fall and spring half way though I use the reversing the line trick by respooling onto an extra spool so after 3 yrs of this it gets very easy to tell if it is going to work or not)

One thing some people do is to put the spooled line into very hot water, which I would never do because my drag is on the spool and I just won't take the chance. The friends that do still have more birds nests than I do but they SWEAR it works. I say it just makes them swear LOL

Just take the spool of line, put it on the floor with the label side up, and reel it on your SPINNING reel. Shouldn't have a problem,unless you put too much on.

Baitcasting reels, put the pencil thru and reel it on your reel the same way it comes off the spool.

Sinker

Similar to letting all the line out behind a movin boat ...try walking it out upwind in an open area...field, park etc. then rewind the loose line keeping tension on it with a thumb and forefinger at the rod...

Hope this helps...

I walk it off a second time only anchor the loose end and keep a good bend in the rod as I rewind...

BTW...I find soaking a reel in hot water helps fibre washers in the drag on a reel that was put away for awhile without loosening the drag... :oops:

Just take the spool of line, put it on the floor with the label side up, and reel it on your SPINNING reel. Shouldn't have a problem,unless you put too much on.

Doesn't always work... many spool them up differently and the label has to be face down... I have bought line from the same company same lb test and all (not cheap-o line) and one came off clockwise the other was counter...

Baitcasting reels, put the pencil thru and reel it on your reel the same way it comes off the spool.

Sinker

Well, I tried again,.. the line was for sure coming off counter-clockwise, however I had the "label" side down. I'm out of line now, so I'll have to try it again when its not a holiday and all the stores are closed. :) Good thing is I did get one spool done correctly.

Thanks for all the help all.

Andrew.

Another novice here who does more reading than posting, but will pass on a trick told to me by staff at a Thunder Bay store while on holiday. He suggested placing the spool of line in a sink filled with water, then loading the reel this way. Apparently the line will come off as it is supposed to. (might try hot water next time) Seems to work so far....got a Pfleuger Prion bait caster...now if I could just learn to cast with the thing!