MinnKota Terrova 24v 80# AP/US2

RangerGuy

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anybody has used this motor. What did you think of it?

I'll be picking up a new trolling motor this year.. have nice stock pile of BPS Gift Cards :) I haven't checked to see if BPS in Toronto has them in stock.. my guess is NOT! but maybe I'll get lucky.

Can't help you out here but thats the exact trolling motor I am looking for as well. Planning to put it on my 17 ft. Starcraft Starfire. I'm going to get the removal mount ($100...sadly) as well so I can remove the motor from the boat during the off season.

Great motor. I have two of them, 55 Terrova, just got it for my 16 ' and 80 Terrova is on my 18'6 . Good power, nice to handle, controls on foot peddle can be used in different ways. Very easy to let down into water and even easier to bring back up compared to the older style units.

If you are looking for one , check out Angling Outfitters just west of Woodstock on # 2 highway. I just picked up two units there for my bother in law and myself. They had just received a shipment. They blew BPS prices out of the water. Ask for Joslyn.

Thanks irishfield, I didn't expect BPS to have 'm

LundGuy i'm stuck with BPS Price because I have better part of the cost covered with gift cards :(.

My fingers are crossed I talked to the Manager on saturday. He said he'd check with his buyer to see if they could get one in. We will see I'm stopping in after work today.

I believe that the Terra Nova is electric steer and my current Minn-Kota 80 is cables, but the power head is probably the same. It's a good strong motor for an 18+ foot fiberglass boat. I had an auto-pilot model 5 or 6 years ago and there were problems with the compass...I understand that this has been corrected. Muskystriker ( AKA AndyK ) has the remote feature and really likes it. As far as I know, he has had no problems.

Garry2rs

Yup, been on his boat.. got to see it in action :) That was a few years back tho... so I'm hoping they've improved it even more LOL!

I have a feeling bass pro is going to jerk me around with this motor.. they guy promised he'd call his buyer today and I'd know today.. and guess what still no call...

It shouldn't take him more than 1 call to find out if he can order it for me or not. I hate given this store any money anymore.. brutal service... was there looking at 2 layout blinds and a Foiles Goose call.. Sales rep walks away because he didn't know the price of the layout blind and never came back... we were waiting there 10 minutes... watched him help 2 other customers before he was out of site. Didn't even make an effort to look for the price for me.

So I bought them online from another store!

Edited by RangerGuy

Yup, been on his boat.. got to see it in action :) That was a few years back tho... so I'm hoping they've improved it even more LOL!

I have a feeling bass pro is going to jerk me around with this motor.. they guy promised he'd call his buyer today and I'd know today.. and guess what still no call...

It shouldn't take him more than 1 call to find out if he can order it for me or not. I hate given this store any money anymore.. brutal service... was there looking at 2 layout blinds and a Foiles Goose call.. Sales rep walks away because he didn't know the price of the layout blind and never came back... we were waiting there 10 minutes... watched him help 2 other customers before he was out of site. Didn't even make an effort to look for the price for me.

So I bought them online from another store!

I have had the same problem. I only stop in on the way up north as habit. I usually buy in the clothing department where they seem to have good sales and things that actually fit me. :D

I don't buy much at all in the fishing dept. there, I find they still have too much of an American flavour there. I go to a couple of small local guys who bring in what ever I need and match BPS prices and most cases give better .

Well,

Believe or not BPS has come thru. They will have the Terrova for me in a week or so and they price matched which gave me a fair price on this motor.

Just wanted to post that the manager that is working with me to get this product has been very helpful. Thanks to him the old ranger will have a fancy

Minn Kota 24volt 80# Terrova with Auto Pilot and Universal Sonar 2 on her bow come this season :)

I think it's only fair to post both good and bad experience with a business. This time was definitely a positive experience.

Can't wait to use this motor!

Edited by RangerGuy

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

I picked up my new Terrova 80lbs 24volt 54" shaft with auto pilot and universal sonar 2 + the copilot. I can't wait to install this thing!

I'm going from 36lbs thrust to 80lbs should see a big difference :)

For anybody that is wondering BPS price matched LeBarons Catelogue price

• 9 months later...

I have a 17ft Aluminum and I put the 80lb MAXPRO with US and lift assist on last year. My boat had a 45lb on it when I bought it but I need that extra power to get in the back country where the frog bite rules!.....I was on a lake so far in the reeds last year that a C.O. came back on a push pole, in a 12ft tinny to see what we were up to.....he had been partolling this lake or years and didn't even know ther was water that far back........we were pounding the toads with the frogs!!!....anyway, cable steering for me all the way but to each his own. That lift assist is WAY too nice man, just flick that cord and let it set down in the water......snap it back up with almost no effort. Great product from a great company.....oh ya, and Joss blew the doors off BPS price.

Cheers

RR

BPS is still just another big box store FIRST and an outdoor store second....so you can't always expect the same service as small local shops....and some of their prices are ridiculous too but I've never heard of them not agreeing to price match if you just take the time to bring it up with a manager...most people don't do that...

if the manager is still a guy named Pavo, then he is good people and will help you out....at least in my experiences...last one going back at least a year or two now

just my few cents about bps....hope your trolling motor is good to you...

Well,

I picked up my new Terrova 80lbs 24volt 54" shaft with auto pilot and universal sonar 2 + the copilot. I can't wait to install this thing!

I'm going from 36lbs thrust to 80lbs should see a big difference :)

For anybody that is wondering BPS price matched LeBarons Catelogue price

I'm looking to replace my old Autopilot 865mx with one of these bad boys!!!! :D

Great motor BUT, there US sonar is the only weakness. If the universal sonar fits ALL graphs(HB, Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin) they all run on a different frequency thus not being as effective. YES it will work but not to full potential. It may work best with HB because Minn Kota and HB are owned by the same parent company. I would suggest a RAM to secure the motor when motoring down the lake.

If you haven't bought it yet, check out the new Fortrex by Minnkota. The Fortrex is the successor to the Maxxum Pro and just came out for 2009.

http://www.wired2fish.com/WhatsUp.aspx?ArticleID=337

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0061188.shtml

I have the Fortrex 36V 101lb 62" US2 shaft big momma on my boat and let me tell you the thing looks and feels indestructable.

The problem with the Terrova is that it is not as robust a unit and there is latency with the elctronic steering system vs the direct and instant steering with a cable system.

Just thought I would throw this out there for you or others who are in the market.

Tony