Laker Fishing

Zubris21

I've only targeted lake trout a couple times and haven't had any success at all. Previously I've been out with friends who have had down riggers or steel line set ups.

Unfortunately I don't have the same resources, or the money to make such purchases at the moment. I plan on fishing a relatively small lake just north of Kingston this summer that is supposed to have a good concentration of Lakers (some as big as 35lbs according to the conservation officer I was speaking with last summer).

I've heard some people talk about using a setup with a 3 way swivel, dropping a line with about 10-15 split shots on the bottom then trailing either a crank bait or a spoon tipped with a sunfish tail. From what I hear they hold at around 80-90 feet during the summer, and I'm not sure if that weight is sufficient to get down that deep and keep the presentation there.

Does any one have any experience with this approach to Lakers, or have any other suggestions to help me land my first lake trout?

p.s. I created a gallery with some pictures from the past couple summers if anyone wants to check them out!

In the spring, after ice out, you can usually catch them pretty shallow. Flatlining spoons, inline spinners and minnow baits works well. A lot of people use planer boards to get the baits away from the boat but isn't always necessary.

I would avoid using sunfish tails as part of your presentation.... I believe this is illegal to use part of a game fish as bait.

A 3 way rig will definitely work to get your bait down deeper. You can get larger weights rather then loading up on several split-shots. You can also get in-line weights that clip onto your main line, replacing the 3 way rig. A sonar/graph is almost a must to mark bait and your target species. It will at least give you an idea of what depth range to get your bait down to. You can even jig lakers if you mark some on deep structure like points or main lake reefs.

Good luck!

We enjoy jigging for them in deep water during summer. You need a good fish finder, good line (braided) and a still day (boat positioning is crucial).

Early morning is best as the wind is normally calm, unless active weather is coming through the area.

Thanks for the input..

I know fishing with live game species is illegal, I usually just use the left over tails from the sunfish I eat....

In terms of the split shot, the whole idea was if you snag you can typically just rip the sinkers off the line instead of losing the whole outfit.

How late into the spring will they typically stay in the shallower water?

The active trout will follow the thermocline once it sets up. Look for surface temp in the mid 50F range for that to start to happen, and then it's time to drop down to find that 50F water that active lakers like.

Use the poor man's downrigger. A dipsy diver or the walker equivalent (size 1) Only 10-15$. A trolling rod or heavy baitcasting rod will do. Add a clamp on rod holder and you're off to the races.

Last summer we were slaying the lakers in Haliburton area where 40' of water met up with bottom. Sometimes running the dipsy right onto the 40' contour. I found body baits to be more effective than spoons.

Cheers

Squiggs

Thanks for the input..

I know fishing with live game species is illegal, I usually just use the left over tails from the sunfish I eat....

In terms of the split shot, the whole idea was if you snag you can typically just rip the sinkers off the line instead of losing the whole outfit.

How late into the spring will they typically stay in the shallower water?

freshwaterfanatic,

I believe the game species rule isn't just for live bait, it would also include dead parts (e.g., sunfish tails).

Also, another way to get your lure down without a downrigger or leadcore line is to use a gang troll with weights attached. You can attach a lure like a floating Rapala using a fluorocarbon leader. The downside is that you can lose the whole apparatus if you snag.

Mike

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into the poor mans downrigger, not for the lake I had in mind because its no motors allowed. It might be too much gear to lug around on a camping trip, but there are a few other lakes I was also looking at that it might come into play on.

We enjoy jigging for them in deep water during summer. You need a good fish finder, good line (braided) and a still day (boat positioning is crucial).

Early morning is best as the wind is normally calm, unless active weather is coming through the area.

I agree, this is by far my favourite way to fish mid summer lakers on small inland lakes.

As mentioned the fish finder and knowing how to use it is critical. Pump up the sensitivity

a bit and slowly cruise 'till fish are located. I've most often found them to be suspended.

The braid is critical as well. It allows ultimate sensitivity and good hook sets even when you're

down super deep.

If you're in a boat a bow mount electric is invaluable for keeping you on top of the fish.

Otherwise as mentioned you'll need a calm day...

I like to use a med/hvy baitcast rod and a light, low profile reel spooled with 10lb power pro.

Lure wise I'm partial to 1-3oz bucktail jigs, anything with white in them. I almost always run

a stinger hook and tip the jig with a strip of belly meat from a sucker (or small pike or walleye

if you keep one for consumption).

Here's my favourite jig, caught a bunch of fish on it last summer:

a25.jpg

Just in case the two post above didn't sink home... don't use Sunfish/game fish as bait! The Yogi who spoke to you will be speaking to you in a far less civil manner, while he's writin up your fine! :stretcher:

HH

Funny thing is the CO that I was talking to said he actually used sunfish tails, hahaha