Fishing north of Nippissing-any advice?

kayak fisher

Hey everyone, I hope that you are all doing well!

I am heading up to Sturgeon Falls on the weekend of March 21st, and I am hoping to get some fishing in. I went up there in January, and I had a lot of fun catching pike and walleye through the ice. My friend owns a property that the sturgeon river runs through, and the Temagami river is really close as well. I am not too familiar with this area, so I don't exactly know where I would be able to fish. I know that pike and walleye seasons are closed at that time, so they are out. Perch, sunfish, catfish, brook trout and rainbows are open. Can anyone out there please let me know if they could provide me with some advice? I am definitely not looking for your secret fishing hole, just a rough idea of where I might be able to catch a few fish. I will be in Field for most of my time there, just northwest of Sturgeon falls. Any help is, of course greatly appreciated.

Happy fishing....

Kayak Fisher

Like you say.. thanks to the new regs for this year darn near everything is closed. Don't understand it...and neither does anyone that lives/fishes up there. You can fish Whitefish, brookies and rainbows anywhere in Zone 11. Lakers open in 11 lakes total including Wilson Lake that's probably the closest to where you'll be... but still an hour I guess/45 minutes. How mobile are you would be another factor?

Hey Irishfield, thanks for the reply.

I will be pretty mobile, as I will have my truck up there, but I don't think that I want to have to drive for another hour once I get up there....lol. it will take me about five hours or so. I was thinking that there might be some small rivers or creeks up there that hold some brook trout, or else if there are panfish in the sturgeon river. I am pretty open as to what species I fish for, even if it is channel cats. I don't think that I am going to bring my ice fishing stuff again though, just my long rods. I haven't had the chance to fish for brookies for years now, an I would love the opportunity!

KF

Hey guys, thanks for the info. TJ, unfortunately I don't have a sled, but i really don't mind trekking for a while with snowshoes and a pack. Anywhere close to field would be awesome. I will be up there from March 21 until the 25th, if anyone will be up there and they want to join me for a bit you are more than welcome to.

kf

Hey everyone. Sorry to re-hash this, but I just wanted to bring this up to the top of the forum again. I am heading out to Field, just north of Sturgeon falls next weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for me as to where to go. Thanks! any help is appreciated.

kf

If you keep going north of field by truck, theres a few laker lakes on the Way up.. the first big one on your right is manitou... lake country, and if you head up further, theres a big on on your left, Emerald, which has a few lakers in it as well