Need a review on the Curado 300dsv

sleded

Hey guys i was looking for a light musky reel and talked to the guy at bass pro and he said this reel will be able to handle big spinnerbaits. Im using this reel just for casting and was wondering if anyone else has used the reel before and could give me a review on it. thanks guys

sleded

When you say big spinnerbaits for musky, I'm assumming you mean big musky baits and if so, I don't think that's the reel you want.

It's a small spool with a high gear ratio at 6:1-1 which is good for burning small bass sized baits very fast, but will make it difficult to crank in large, musky sized spinnerbaits that have a lot of drag to them.

For bigger baits like that, you want a larger spool which turns faster because of the bigger diameter, but with a lower gear ratio that will give you the extra cranking power for the added drag of the bait.

I've never used that particular reel though, so I could very well be wrong.

The Curado 300 was made by Shimano for the avid big toothy critter fisherman. They were tested on Golden Derado in Argentina which make big pike up here look like walleye. These reels stood the tests and then some. With it's bigger spool for extra line capacity, Dartanium Drag, High efficiency gearing, and more it is becoming the reel of choice for some. Hope this helps and if you need anymore info let me know.

actually we used the curado 300 for muskies last season a few times

was the first season it was used

It was suggested to me that it would be a good reel with high gear ratio

Its most certainly perfect for muskies.the gear ratio is high but one can slow down the retrieve.Drag and gears,no concern for muskies after it held up on Dorado's for Larry Dalhberg

For muskies,either the curado or Calcutta 400 are main gear pulling tools I use for casting

Trolling,I'd consider a little bigger

Edited by marc thorpe

Thanks for the update on the that reel Marc, I was thinking it wouldn't work well for cranking big spinnerbaits. I've tried smaller, hi speed reels before for larger spinnerbaits and found they didn't work well for that particular application.

Always a good day when we can learn something new :thumbsup_anim:

I bought a 301 a couple of weeks ago. Shimano's rebate makes it a very attractive deal. Bought it for throwing #5 to #7 bucktails. Have to wait a while to use it but I bet it handles those sizes very well. The reel is smooth and very well made. The gears are huge. Reassuring to read Marc's post.

I have to agree with Marc and Blake. That reel is perfect for casting situations since it is a low profile reel which is far less taxing on your hand and wrist than a beer can style reel. We pounded them super hard on Salmon at night this past fall throwing spoons and they didn't even flinch.

The reels can exert 15 lbs of drag tension and hold over 150 yds of 65 pound braid.

Definitely a steal with the $50 rebate going on right now.

JP

Eric,

Bought one this fall on used it on the "POOL" for a week and hands down it really like it. Good for throwing swing or jerkbaits you have to reel up line in a hurry with. Also used it on bucktails with no problems. I though the gear ratio might make a bucktail too hard to reel in but it did not do that IMO.

Bryan

The new 300DSV is more a barra size reel, taking

240 metres of six kilo mono and plenty of braid, plus it’s possible to crank on more than seven kilos of drag for some real serious stopping power. That 6.2:1 gear ratio is pretty useful too.

All Curado reels have an aluminium frame and Magnumlite spool, High Efficiency Gearing, Super Free bearing-supported pinion system, a click-adjust Dartanium drag, Turn-key spool access to the Reduced Mass VBS (Variable Brake System) Hub, four shielded A-RB bearings and one roller bearing (five A-RB in the 300DSV), Quickfire II, and a reinforced drilled handle shank with Septon Power Handles.