remove boat from trailer

forrest

The boat and trailer combo is sitting in my garage and I want to get the boat off of the trailer. Its a 16ft aluminum...problem is is that the motor is 220lbs and the boat is 330lbs. The boat is not a big problem, its the motor I worry about.

Bringing the combo down to the water is not an option. Is inviting friends over for "free beer" the best way to reach my goal?

Any advice?

forrest

Easy to do, hard to explain. I used to do this for a living many moons ago.

You need to jack, block and move a little each time.

If you have room to block the boat up at the rear of the trailer, behind the rearmost trailer crossmember it is an easy job. If not, that is the first thing to establish.

Park the boat where you want it.

Jack and block at the rear at both corners.

Jack and block towards the front on the keel

Pull the trailer ahead as far as you can

Relocated the blocks as necessary until you're done

Jack the boat's ass off the trailer..now put the boat's stern on a block...remove the jacks..

have two buddies present for this next step..

lift the tongue of the trailer as high as you can and then have your buddies grab the BOW ...

lower the trailer and pull it out from under the boat...

then run over and help your buddies set the BOW on another block or jackstand.

We did it just last week with a 1998 16 princecraft with a 60 Evinrude on the back...there were four of us.

Lower the front of your trailer as far as it will go. Support the transom of your boat on a stringer and blocks to keep it from tilting side to side. lift the tongue of your trailer and that will transfer most of the weight to your support rather than the trailer. Secure your boat from rolling forward as you gently pull the trailer forward. Have another support ready for the front of the boat and slide it under the front of the boat when you get enough clearance behind the trailer. Easy when you have done it a few times. A quality Styrofoam block works well under the front. One guy can do it this way.

Edited by Bernie

First thing I would do is remove the motor and get the boat's back end as far back on the trailer as possible. Then set the back end of the boat on large wooden blocks. Raise the front of the trailer with the boat detached from the winch. Have your buddy hold the boat in position on the blocks while you pull the trailer forward. Once you get the trailer forward enough the weight will shift to the back and rest on the blocks more and then you can hook it up to your atv or vehicle and pull the rest of the trailer out and set another block under the front of the boat. I did this to mine and it is a 15' aluminum as well. Some points: keep the boat as low to the ground as possible and make sure the ground is level.

Rob C

First find a level spot(hint driveway) Get two jackstands. Let the front of the trailer down as low as it will go. Place the jackstands under jackplate, might need a timber or two to get high enough to support it. Make sure they are far enough apart so the boat will not rock. Then crank up the front jack as high as it will go. Should raise back of boat off trailer. Now you need two saw-horses and a long timber(6"X6"Xwider than outside of trailer)capable of supporting the boat.Place saw-horses with timber across and under the eyelet in bow(to keep from sliding)and use a piece of good carpet between boat and timber. Cut a small V-notch to get closer to boat. Now lower the front until everything is clear. Then just pull trailer out from under boat and do your work. Then reverse process. Only takes 20minutes to get boat off trailer and same time to put it back. Also lets you look at underside of boat while suspended there.

or you could hire this guy... :thumbsup_anim:

Go get some heavy duty ratchet straps from Princess Auto. Attach a 2x8 across your roof joists of your garage then take a threaded rod and attach. Get the straps around the boat and ratchet up a few inches and remove trailer. Put blocks under the boat for safety. You'll be done in an hour. and next time you want to do it will take you 5 minutes.

Edited by Vanselena

thanks for all the options guys!

I dont have rafters but if I come across some heavy duty scaffolding I with consider it. I would consider the guy with the crane but that would mean I have to put a whole through the bedroom directly above the garage and that would be trouble.

For now its the jack and block.

niceguy: its not specifically for working on the boat. More so that I want do work on the trailer or use the trailer for hauling other stuff.

thanks again guys, your great!

forrest