My new boat......for 1 week

lew

I was rummaging through some boxes in the basement last night and came across these pictures of a boat I bought back in 1999. I forgot I even had these photo's.

I went out to buy a new Crestliner in '99 and the dealer told me about a new 1997 model that he still had in stock and offered it to me at an excellent price. I liked what I saw and bought the boat.

I took it up to the lake and launched it and was off on the inaugural trip, but something just wasn't right. As soon as the boat got above 20 MPH it would list way over to the left, infact it was at about a 45 degree angle and no matter how I trimmed it, it wouldn't straighten out. I putzed around with it for 2 days then called the dealer. He said the motor may need to be lifted higher on the transom and to bring it back in.

I was up north of Peterboro and the dealer was way down in Etobicoke, but I took it down to him where he lifted the engine and said that would fix the problem, so I headed back up to the lake for another try but sure enough it was just as bad as ever.

There's a well respected boat dealer near my trailer so I hauled it over to him and as soon as he looked underneath he noticed that the hull had an actual hook to it back near the transom, as if it had been dropped on something.

I took it back to Etobicoke and showed the dealer and when he saw it he agreed right away that the bend was there. I then bought a 99 model and have been extremely happy ever since.

Too bad though cause that 97 model was a beautiful boat.

Anyways, just thought I'd pass along that little unhappy tale that had a happy ending.

Feb0101.jpg

Feb0102.jpg

That boat in the pictures is the 97 with the bent hull, not my current boat. Don't know what the dealer ever did with that one.

Paul, the Crestliners are an excellent boat, infact as good or better than any other aluminum boat on the water and I'd certainly reccomend them to anyone.

That was a beauty boat Lew. This post should serve as a warning to everyone buying a used boat (especially privately). That's something I would have never never noticed. I guess if you're spending big $$$ always go for a test drive. Good thing your dealer took care of you. Good thing for him I bet LOL. I can just picture a salesman with a mouth full of muskie lures LOL ;) .

Quite the story there Lew. I thought maybe you were gonna say the prop was wrong for the motor or something, but I guess you really never look at the bottom of a boat :blink: Never would have thought of that either.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Joey