a question for you folks

bramptonjerry

There is an age class or size class at which fish have the greatest reproductive output ie most eggs per mass type deal. After this point they lose some of their reproductive capacity. I suspect this varies greatly among species and environments when this occurs. I believe slot lengths were implemented to keep the fish of highest reproductive capacity in the system. Though the released trophy fish may not contribute after you release it, it has spawned for years and contributing genetics which in some way helped it to survive to and older age. Releasing it however may grant another angler the pleasure of catching a trophy fish the next year.

In most animals reproductive hormone output is decreased as they move past the middle of their lifespan.

Hope I made my teachers proud?? :huh:

Not upset, do what your comfortable with. On some waters a 12 pound walleye, 25 pound pike are true trophies, note the range for a 25 pound northern seems to much more limited now, same with the walleye, selected waters have a much better chance of producing one now.

Just a lot of people fishing, knowledge and equipment making it easier to locate and catch them. Just what I see here in Ohio,with bass, catch and release has made bass fishing much better and holds promise of it staying that way.

Just personally, I quit keeping fish for trophies a long time ago. I have taken few pictures and I am more interested in getting fish I didn`t need for a weigh in back in the water as quickly as possible.

Just me but I would rather see a picture and a live release.