casting reel brake systems?????

sconceptor

Hey, I'm looking forward to purchasing a new casting reel to use for steelhead in the fall/winter and bass/eyes in the summer/fall. I'm probably going to trade in my little used Abu Eon, at the BassPro Shop Spring Fishing Classic.

What types of breaking systems do you hardcore casters like? I'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars. I'm thinking of an external breaking system this time. Any thoughts???? Shimano users, Quantum users, Abu Revo users,, Diawa users?

I typically like Shimano gear, but am not a fan in the internal centrifugal breaking system. I don't like having to adjust the breaks by opening up the reel. Sometimes it'd be nice to just turn a dial to make a quick adjustment! I don't like the pins and the red plastic pieces. I own a Chornach and a Curado. My Curado has needed a new spoil, since a pin in the breaking system would frequently fall out, screwing up the reel. I guess the plastic was cracked around the pin, and Shimano's service center didn't notice. After the first repair, where they only put in a new pin and gave me a few new red plastic break pieces, the pin fell out again. I then noticed the crack and decided a new spoil was how to fix it. I just decided to buy a new spoil, instead of sending it back for a repair and to complain. I should've complained since they've got deep pockets and I've read there were a few issues with the Curado's the year I bought mine.

The digital Shimano sounds awesome, but I'm not sure about spending that type of money.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

go with external braking, saves time and energy, simple to use. i use quantum gear, and i haven;t had any issues with them yet. the energy PT is a very nice reel, and resonably priced, accurist PT is also good and has a good price tag on it. couple new reels just released look really good too, the Code is a nice reel at a good price.

What price range are you looking at? Under or around 200? Also do you want a Low-pro or a Round bait-caster? Diawa Millionare, Luna, Abu Morrums, Shimano Conquests, CTE's Calcuttas, Quantum Cabo pt's if you're looking at a round bait caster. For a low-pro, Quantum Tour pt, Energy PT's, Shimano Scorpion's, Core MG's, Abu Garcia's Revo STX, Daiwa Zillion 100SHA, Advantage, Black Widow II, TD-Sol, Viento, Fuego...... With the strength of the dollar you should take advantage of the great deals you can get on-line. As far as I'm concerned don't even look at BPS. They're really bending you guys over up in Canada. The prices aren't great at all and with the exception of just a few of their employees, they're not much help at all. That spaces must cost a lot to rent!...(Sorry :rolleyes: ) There's a lot of great on line dealers that can help you out or if you find what you really want just go to a local Tackle shop and as them to order it. As far as the gear goes http://www.tackletour.com. Take a look at the reviews on here.

If you're looking for great deals on some of the forign reels http://www.japantackle.com .

FHR

Internal..external..magnetic..etc I find they all end up set to one spot and then left there, with the only adjustment being the spool clearance/brake being adjusted for lure weight, so I wouldn't limit my reel choices based on the backlash brake system. Terry's niffty electronic wiz bang baitcaster don't cast any further than the others....except when he's talking with his wife about the superb action to justify the $$$'s! :D

My ABU MagII brake has been set to the same spot for 24 years. I tried going one setting lighter this year, thinking I had 23 years of casting experience with it.... and it wasn't pretty!

Edited by irishfield

Im with Roy but i go alittle further , I dont know why you need a braking system , unless you dont have any thumbs .Used to go to the casting competitions and after talking to the guys I saw all of them had no brakes on their reels . I take all the brakes off all my casting reels now . I spent a long time untangleing things at first but after much pratice in the park throwing hookless lures into hoops and flower pots I got the hang of it ( I think untanging so many birdsnests made me a better caster than if I had just turned on the brakes and settled for half assed) ??? . Things I look for in a reel are speed , how much and kind of line it can hold , smooth Drag not brakes .

My spool control setting is changed daily if not more often and I've used a bait caster for more than 60 years so my thumb is pretty well educated. The biggest reason I change is wind and cast direction.

I don't care for the internal adjustment although I have several reels that have internal controls including a Curado. If I was thinking of a new reel I'd be sure to include Pflueger in my search. The adjustment is external and I think it combines magnetic along with centrifugal. My Quantums have also performed very well and they are externally controlled.

I don't have a newer Pflueger but I bought a BPS Prolitefiness two or three years ago that I believe has a similar system and I like it just fine.

Same pt as Roy,

I adjust drag (spool tension) all the time but I have never changed the brakes on my baitcasting reels since adjusting them when I first got them. I suppose I could ease up on the brakes as I have gotten more experienced using a baitcaster, and cast a little further, but birdsnests aren't pretty and I have a helluva time untangling them when they do happen.

Mike

I suppose I could ease up on the brakes as I have gotten more experienced using a baitcaster, and cast a little further, but birdsnests aren't pretty and I have a helluva time untangling them when they do happen.

Mike

Read my post above Mike... didn't work for me after 24 years on the same ABU! :wallbash:

Guest skeeter99

dont want to sound like a smart ass or nothing, but I back the brakes right off, the best variable brake is your thumb!!!!

that is the way I do it anyway no matter what size of bait (my thumb is trained well LOL!!!)

Edited by skeeter99

Thanks for the replies guys!

I typically don't like much breaking on my reels. However, I do fishin in rather foul weather, cold(steelhead in the winter), and windy(gust of 50km/hr along a river bank). 60-70km gusts are too much!!!

My thumb isn't perfect in these less than ideal conditions. It's not perfect in good conditions either, but I'm not a pro. Adjusting the fall rate, just doesn't cut it sometimes.

Now with those external adjustments, I think it would be sweet, to be able to quickly go from a low amount of breakiing, to a heavier setting due to wind or cold. No taking apart the reel. Less wasted time trying to find a good setting or warming up the thumb.

I just got out my 2007 Master Fishing BPS catalogue and looked at the reel comparisons. I don't mind the 200-250US$ range. I might switch up from my Shimano brand on this, and go with a Diawa Zillion or a Quantum Tour Edtion PT. I think I'll go blazin fast 7.0.1 too.

I'll have my own comparison of what I like in a few years! So when I'm old and grey like a lot of you, I can talk with more experience.........hopefully a few thousand trophy fish photos too.

I've got a Quantum Tour Edition PT in the 6.3:1, I don't have the blazing fast reel. This I can tell you, it is a fantastic reel. I liked it better then the other options in that price range. You can also get some cash back on them now from Quantum that makes it even better. It's the smoothest low profile baitcaster you will ever put in your hand.