Skating

Marc Thorpe

Lew,speaking with my cousin over the holidays who is a fire fighter like his Dad here in MTL plays every week in a get together leaugue somewhat like you mentioned,

Marc, a bunch of the Fire Dept's here in Ontario got together 20 - 25 years ago and formed a league that started out fairly small but really caught on and expanded to become so big it was eventually split into about 4 divisons.

It was extremely popular and alot of fun and the teams would travel all over Southern Ontario to play and the fans would also travel to the various games to support them.

After a few years we went international for tourneys and they'd be held in a different city each year and included American teams from the Fire Dept's of New York City, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, and I think Chicago if I remember correctly.

I haven't watched the NHL in decades but these games were far superior in my opinion. I wasn't good enough to play in that caliber but I travelled around and watched alot of the games and some of those guys were unbelievably talented.

I don't know the actual reason but the league was unfortunately disbanded eventually, but for quite a few years it provided alot of excellent hockey players the opportunity to meet and play against many teams from both sides of the border.

It was really good stuff while it lasted !!

Edited by lew

the doctor says its good for you.... been playing since i was 6 years old...i play at least 3 times a week....tuesday night, 50 years old and over in a 12 team league(old fart league to camillj)lol...just got home from playing in my fourth tourney this year (it was in st thomas..i wonder if it was the same tourney as STEVE PAUL??....have 4 more tourneys to play before april 01....started refereeing this year aswell..i guess it was time to give something back to the game that i have enjoyed all my life...sure the body hurts a little on mondays but it is fun....lucky i retired 3 years ago...enjoy it..

Shooter, same tournament. How did you make out?

And the body does feel like it was ridden hard and put away wet this morning as well :stretcher:

When I played in a league in St.Clements there was a firefighters team. We let them have an unlimited roster because of their shifts. You could play the same team two weeks in a row and every player was different. We used to joke about starting a fire somewhere before the game so they would be short of players. They always kicked our keisters.

In the "A" division of the KW shop league there was an all police team. They were the dirtiest team in the league. But where else can you assault an officer with a weapon and only get 2 minutes in the box :)

I'd be in for a "GTG on ice" if it was close enough to home.

hey steve paul: how did you do?... we were in the over 50 division..lost to windsor..beat port stanley then lost to st thomas....nice facility you have there....maybe hook up next year..this was our third trip there for this tourney..

hey steve paul: how did you do?... we were in the over 50 division..lost to windsor..beat port stanley then lost to st thomas....nice facility you have there....maybe hook up next year..this was our third trip there for this tourney..

It is a good tournament. We won our division and ended up with a nice jacket out of it to go with the sore back and legs.

Port beat St. Thomas in your division finals (they played right before our final on the Sunday)

If you are coming down next year, let me know and we'll have a pop or 2 between games.

Edited by steve_paul

I played hockey for 13 years. I have only been on skates once in the past seven years, but just pieced together enough equipment to go play. Some of the younger guys from my work play shinny... guess we will see how out of shape i really am... lol.... this is going to hurt, but i love the game and can't wait.

lovetofish

Wife goes skating for an agressive 2.5 hrs every Monday and Thursday afternoon. I'd better start going with her as she's getting into such great shape she's gonna trade plump old me in for some lean young stud! LOL

Ya Wayne, should trade them blades that glide in air for blades that glide on ice

Who knows, you might be sporting Swarthy,carved and chiseled features by the spring :w00t:

Paul nice to see you involved and playing at this level

Jedi,good laugh