Any advice on Massasauga PP

nofish4me

Nice park. I camped there on a may long weekend a few years ago. Horrible weather, cold and rain but we still caught some pike but no walleye.

There is a website (do a google search) that people rank campsites in different provincial parks. helped me to pick a good one, because there're not all created equally.

Good luck.

Nofish, here is a general map. I will make a few comments below it for you.

med_gallery_170_217_89576.jpg

Where is says "The Massasauga Provincial Park" on the far right is where the park office and boat ramp is. It is located in Blackstone Harbour where most people camp their first time out as they get use to the waterway. Campsites 501 to 512 are in this bay. I know that 512 is good, but am not sure which others are good.

If you feel more adventurous, you can camp in Captain Allan Straight shown in the bottom centre of the map. These sites are numbered from 302 to 306 on the north shore and 403 to 410 on the south shore. The best sites are 304, 305, 306, and 403. The advantage to camping in the Straight is that you can fish more areas from here easily such as Woods Bay to the right, or Moon Bay to the left. There is also a marina in Woods Bay if you need any supplies. They are also a licensed LCBO location for those emergency situations!

All of these areas are quite well protected from the elements.

You can actually call Oastler Lake PP who run the Massasauga and they might be able to give you some other campsite recommendations.

Myfavourite site is #215 in Port Rawson Bay. Great site for swimming and the entire Bay is good for pike and bass as well as having some good musky spots. The only con being that it is an overnighting bay and can be very crowded with large boats moored for the evening. Last time we camped there we had a five lined skink calling 215 home. Pretty cool it is ontario's only lizard and its rare

Eumeces_fasciatus.jpg

Holdfast, I have been going there since 1990 and bank new good spots every year and have many old tried and true spots. Some become non-productive as the waterlevel changes, but some do not.

What area did you fish when you were there and waht time of year was it? Have you been more than once?

I grew up fishing the area in the summer and I can tell you that the fishing does not stink.

You need a good depth finder, there are tons of spots in the middle of nowhere.

Cast-Away, was it you that was telling me you frequent Blind Bay?

I fished and trolled the Strait, along the shoreline on both sides of the strait. Went up river till I hit the Falls (I think it was the Moon River) also the Bay where the Park entrance is. Only caught a few bass and a couple of pike. I fished probably a dozen time for a season. For me the fishing sucked but the Camping is great. I guess my best accomplishment was when I first set out to camp and it got dark and it was windy. I dont know how I got to the campspot, but my map and compass sure came handy. Next morning I couldnt believe the reefs and Islands that I missed. Ill never do that again.

Kyle, it wasn't me that gave you the tip.

Holdfast, the straight and Blackstone are heavily fished and have alot of boating pressure. You will have much more luck going off the beaten path and fishing areas that have much less boat traffic.

Nofish, Musky or Specks is right that Port Rawson is a great place to camp and should be really private in May. The cruisers aren't out yet but the Blackflies might be! The only downside is that the distance is almost 7 miles, so if you have a small boat that is loaded down with gear, it will take quite awhile to get there.

Cast-Away, I'm looking at trying to get a site for two large tents and a Dinning tent, distance is not a problem.

Didn't want to go to far for the first time there, in an 18' Lund 150hp. Kind of figured the first trip would be an exploration type trip. Was trying stay out of any nasty winds that may occur.

No Fish, here are a couple more maps that show the boat routes through the area. This will give you a good idea of where Port Rawson Bay is. It shows right at the top middle of the map where one route ends.

Are you looking for a more private location?

med_gallery_170_217_55735.jpg

med_gallery_170_217_107022.jpg

Kyle, it wasn't me that gave you the tip.

Holdfast, the straight and Blackstone are heavily fished and have alot of boating pressure. You will have much more luck going off the beaten path and fishing areas that have much less boat traffic.

Nofish, Musky or Specks is right that Port Rawson is a great place to camp and should be really private in May. The cruisers aren't out yet but the Blackflies might be! The only downside is that the distance is almost 7 miles, so if you have a small boat that is loaded down with gear, it will take quite awhile to get there.

Port Rawson isnt far heck ive done it in a canoe with my son when he was only 8. Its a pretty protected route from the prevailing winds. Site 215 is a very large campsite it use to be two but they combined it into one.

If your beaching your boat be sure to tie it off or pull it up very far onto the shore. One thanksgiving weekend we had prolonged very strong winds from the west and it stacked the water in the bay a good foot higher than normal. We got up in the morning and started accusing each other of not pulling the boat up far enough the night before. It was still beached but was totally in the water.

Cast-Away, nice maps. For some reason I'm not able to see them larger on this Laptop. I will wait 'till I'm home to check them out better.

Would be nice to be very private, but not necessary.

Thanks.

Musky or Specks, good advice, something I hadn't thouht of at this point. I've had to deal with the rising water, due to wind, in the past.

Thanks.