Is a Helly Hansen Compass Rain Suit any good?

Canuck2fan

I am looking at purchasing my dad a breathable rain suit for the odd fishing trip. I would love to go with Gore Tex but the price vs the two to maybe five times total if that he will ever use a warmer weather rain suit ratio I am looking at less pricey options....

I know HH has a good rep for survival suits so I am wondering if anyone here has tried the compass line of rain gear and if so what is their impression of it? Is it waterproof and does it breath so you don't wind up more soaked from sweat than from the rain?

Thanks

It all depends, just like anything. They make low end and high end stuff. If you are looking for emergency weekend stuff, their lower end will work great. If you need bomb proof, their Heli-tech product is awsome.

Be sure to try stuff on, as there is more than one to pick from. They make ski, climbing, fishing, etc. All with the same fabrics and technology but cut and specked different for each activity. As mentioned, you get what you pay for. Treat it nice and you will have it forever.

I have used several Helly products in the past and have never been disappointed. Except for maybe buying a snowbaord coat to go ice climbing, ooops.

I've had 3 suits, from $80 up. The one I like best is the one I have now.

You get what you pay for, imo.

I understand that you get what you pay for and here is where I am coming from. I can get a summer weight Gore Tex suit from Cabelas for about 300.00 delivered that I can't try on unless I drive 6 hours to their store in Michigan which would take the price to over 400 with gas and meals and the like, Oh wait since I work 7 days a week I would have to lose a days pay too..... That really leaves mail order, and if I have a problem with it for any reason but most likely it not fitting well then I have to ship it back which would leave me out about 30 bucks and I still don't have a suit, or I could just sell it for what I can get for on ebay probably losing more money... I will assume that since it is Cabelas it would be of decent quality so that part doesn't concern me.

Now on the other hand I can take my dad to LeBarons in Mississauga in the afternoon after I and he finish work on or near his birthday, spend that part of the day with him, buy him the suit in a size that works best because he can try it on. Take him for supper, get him a Pflueger President 6725 or 30 for his perching rod I just gave him at Christmas to go with the rain suit all for about 225 including gas and the meal. If I do that at least I will know the suit fits, plus I get some quality time with him to boot..... I don't want to do that if the suit is crap and doesn't breath so it will be uncomfortable on a clamy day in the rain.

Considering that my dad at the young age of 73 insists on still working 7 days a week like I do most weeks. Just getting him out in nice weather to fish is a challenge, rainy weather it has been alll but impossible because he hates being clamy under a rain suit. So giving how SWO suffers drought conditions lately when it gets warm out, I am assuming if he wears the thing maybe 10 times in 2 yrs that would be great with me. So paying for something that a deep sea fisherman would need to go crabbing in Alaska doesn't make too much sense either.....

Anyway you said the suit you have now is your favourite but didn't mention the brand or model. Perhaps I would look at one from them if you could enlighten me as to the type.

A lot of companies make great stuff.

One thing to remember. The more water proof a product is, the less breathable it is. Yes Gor-tex and others are waterproof breathable. You have to remember though that the more active you are, the more you will perspire, thus creating a wet feeling in even the greatest of suits. The membrane can only let so much out at a time.

As for being clamy, buy some technical wear for under the suit. I really like the Helly Hansen Lifa product. You want moisture wicking properties. The more you can keep moisture away from your body the better. Cotton is brutal for this. As with base layers, you get what you pay for. The $10.00 spandex from "Wally's" will not perform as well as a $40.00 Lifa. I find with a base layers the tighter the knit the less wicking and more uncomfortable.

Invest in a good suit with some good base layers and you are good to go.

Here's the Gore-Tex suit from BPS that I've been wearing for the last 3 years and it's excellent.

You can pay alot more money for higher end Gore-Tex suits, but this one has served me very well. I'm on the water all the time in some extremely nasty weather and have never had a problem with this one.

It's totally water proof, windproof, very breathable and extremely comfortable to wear all day long.

If I remember correctly I think the jacket was $150 & the pants $130

My last suit was a Helly Hanson and it was also good but not totally breathable and on a warm muggy day it'd be pretty wet on the inside.

I dunno, but spending $280 to keep your old Dad comfortable all day long in the boat in nasty weather doesn't sound too bad to me ;)

Just my thoughts......

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...010000_600-10-3

Here's the Gore-Tex suit from BPS that I've been wearing for the last 3 years and it's excellent.

You can pay alot more money for higher end Gore-Tex suits, but this one has served me very well. I'm on the water all the time in some extremely nasty weather and have never had a problem with this one.

It's totally water proof, windproof, very breathable and extremely comfortable to wear all day long.

If I remember correctly I think the jacket was $150 & the pants $130

My last suit was a Helly Hanson and it was also good but not totally breathable and on a warm muggy day it'd be pretty wet on the inside.

I dunno, but spending $280 to keep your old Dad comfortable all day long in the boat in nasty weather doesn't sound too bad to me ;)

Just my thoughts......

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...010000_600-10-3

Lew I appreciate the imput I never saw anything that remotely interested me at BPS the last time I looked so I definitely will have to check this one out. As for spending the 280 no worries on that part but we are shore fishermen and don't have a boat to keep comfortable in.... Besides like I said getting my dad to take 3 or 4 hours away to head out fishing is like pulling teeth sometimes, so anything that will help him decide to tag along when it is raining out would be worth it.

Canuck2Fan, I like Lew's advice on the BBS stuff. He seems to have picked a good price point too.

Columbia waterproof breathables are good, but the branded Goretex is a definite notch up the pole. I got the BPS 100 MPH jacket and bibs, I can justify the sticker as that will be the last rainsuit I buy, and hope to get 25 years of use out of it. It is tough and well made with nice touches like the neoprene cuffs.

The only thing I don't like about the suit is the obnoxious BPS branding and badges on their products. If I spend that amount of coin, why should I advertise the store? They should pay me for wearing that gingerbread on my clothing.

I also second the idea about two layers underneath for ultimate comfort in cool rainy weather; a tight fitting base layer, and a looser bulky layer for warmth, both polypropylene fleece.

Canuck2Fan, I also like your idea of a birthday shopping trip with Pa. Go to Basspro instead of LeB for some great gear, you are looking at some med - high end gear and BPS will give you a better selection, I think.

I also second the idea about two layers underneath for ultimate comfort in cool rainy weather; a tight fitting base layer, and a looser bulky layer for warmth, both polypropylene fleece.

Absolutely douG, wear the proper type of clothing for the weather you'll be encountering, and your day in the nasty stuff will be much more enjoyable. Nothing worse than seeing someone who's miserable because they didn't dress properly for the elements.

That looks like a warm suit you have Lew.I have seen DouG's suit looks well made.

I bought a couple of those $20 yellow rubber suits and got tired of sweating my ass off.

The wife bought be a rain suit from Costco Wetskins I am very impressed with it it breathes well and keeps me very dry.It is more for summer though not for the cold fall days.Good bang for the buck at $49.99

MTP