Snap swivels

HUKDONFAWNIX

It depends on the lure... If you are jigging spoons for example you would want to use a swivel. However, if you are using horizontal lures like the Jigging Rapala or a Chubby Darter, you will want to tie directly to the lure... I don't see any cases where you would need one for panfishing, unless you were using jigging spoons for jumbo perch...

The swivel won't deter the fish, but it can negatively affect the action on some lures...especially the smaller/lighter ones.

In some cases, it is better to tie directly to the split ring on some lighter spoons for example, and then place a barrel (2-way, in-line) swivel about 24 inches above the lure to help eliminate line twist.

Good fishing!

Tony

I don`t ice fish, but I use a snap most of the time like these

http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/ter...Lock_snaps.html

size 1 will work for panfish but can put you at risk for bigger species, I have had them open.

Never had a 2 or 3 open but I don`t fish for pike or skis except up north and it`s been a long time. A stringease snap looks to be the safest beat for larger fish like those.

In line spinners and some others will cause line twist, a quality ball bearing swivel will help prevent it.

A balancing act, some of the bigger snaps and swivels will throw off the tracking of small lures.

I always use a swivel (but not a snap) when vertical jigging. does't matter the lure, they all will twist your line. tie the swivel to the mainline then to a leader material then to your lure either directly or with a small snap.

Edited by Raf

I always use a swivel (but not a snap) when vertical jigging. does't matter the lure, they all will twist your line. tie the swivel to the mainline then to a leader material then to your lure either directly or with a small snap.

What raf said.

There's no need (IMO) for any extra's on the business end of your presentation.