Huron Chrome Today (pic's)

solopaddler

I'm leaving shortly for the memorial service but wanted to quickly post this as it's in remembrance of my friend.

I headed north today with another good friend in search of fish and perhaps a calmer state of mind...

The first river we fished was very tough conditions even having to break off shelf ice before we could drift.

100_2268.jpg

The river was also choked with floating chunks of ice and drifting was tough...but we persisted.

Actually had 2 small fish on briefly, but they quickly came unbuttoned.

All in all not a great start...

Around 10am I suggested a move north to another trib, one of my all time favourites.

Strangely this river was almost completely ice free, but was much, much lower than the first river

and absolutely gin clear.

Nevertheless I was pretty confident. I scaled down the size of my float, changed my tippet to 4lb fluoro, stretched out my lead, tied on a #14 hook and broke out the mini-micro roe bags. Time to finesse! :)

My buddy walked upstream and started fishing a nice seam close to a set of rapids.

100_2273.jpg

I inched my way downstream scouring the slower more froggy water. Lost in my thoughts, almost mesmerized

by my float and the water flowing over the sandy, gin clear stream bed my float shot under with a suddenness that means only one thing.

100_2270.jpg

The fish fought amazingly hard considering the water temps, taking a good 10 minutes to get close to shore where I finally pulled it up onto an ice shelf...

100_2271.jpg

100_2272.jpg

Other fish including one very large and very angry tank of a fish were hooked and lost, but this was the only fish landed today.

Probably fitting as I really only wanted one today...

This one's for you bud :) .