Sunday Afternoon on the Bay

Ramble

Yesterday seemed to offer decent weather for getting a newbie out on the ice so I ask my g/f if she want to head out onto the bay of Quinte to do some very basic perch hunting and she was all for it. A half hour of scrambling later and we were in the van on the way to Cara’s to get her fishing license for the year…then we drove straight down to the Herchimer launch, for easy ice access. We went straight out from the launch and drilled a couple of holes to check the depth and stopped at about 15 feet of water. I punched 4 holes and got the lines all set up. By this point it was about 1:30pm.

IMGP1038.jpg

IMGP1042.jpg

There was somewhere between 8-10 inches of pretty good ice where we were…I didn’t put a tape measure on it, but used the ice spoon to make a rough estimate. There was no action for the 1st half hour.

IMGP1040.jpg

Then Dom says to me she thinks she had a nibble on the line she was jigging a spoon. In about 10 seconds she has had 2 more nibbles…so I fed a minnow onto a plain yellow headed jig and swapped it for her jigging spoon. Back down the hole her line went, and after 2 jigs she had the 1st perch! Her second fish ever on hard water. She was so excited.

IMGP1041.jpg

A little while later she had another one.

IMGP1044.jpg

Then my set line went and I had one. Then all the action stopped and I switched Dom back to her spoon. About half hour later my set line went and I had another one. It was on and off the whole time we were on the ice as the schools moved around. We didn’t hook any jumbos but we caught some fish and all were released. I played around with different lures and had the most jigging action on a small gold spoon with some pink on it. Dom was most successful by jigging the spoon (black and white with a gold back) then switching to the plain jig. The plain jig used by itself didn’t attract as many strikes. The set lines however saw the most action of any lines. After about 3.5 hours Dom was getting cold, and since the wind had picked up, and the nice day had changed to a mixture of wet snow and rain it was time to go. I was still eager to stay out until dark…but I knew not to press her. So we packed up and headed in.

All-in-all it was a good day on the ice. :thumbsup_anim:

-Ramble