Boxing Day Fishing Deals

fishinggeek

Thanks for the info guys,well we went out today for a few bargains and even went to wal-mart. :wallbash: ..and it waqsnt bad at all, :huh: but as for driving from oshawa to bass pro,ill wait another day or 2 before i go,im not willing to stand in that crowed like i did last year on boxing day at bass pro,it was insane !!!!!and it wasnt worth it so im glad to know the sale is on for a few days thanks....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

went to le barons and bass pro today.first time to le barons and i will definatly return as for bass pro im gonna try to restrict myself.the boxing day sale has gotten progresivly worse since they opened this being the worst thus far.waste of gas and time it was a complete joke.the only thing good about bps is the huge selection.prices at lebaron are far better,one reel i looked at today shimano citica 132.00 reg price lebaron,bps 169.00 almost 40 bucks difference bps gets the big thumbs down.everything was tax free at le barons today got a pfluger trion for under 100 bucks.

lol, lebaron more friendly?

If that is the case, you should be thanking Bass Pro for that because I can assure you that after spending about 4-5000 there over a couple year period, I can say that I have not spent $10 in 5 years thanks to the "service" i received long before the "threat" of Bass Pro was around.

Strike up a relationship with a smaller local shop, you'll be surprised at the pricing you can receive for your loyalty over time.

Charles

FG,

I get my stuff at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock. But I'd bet that Fishing World, JB's and Carras others that have good reputations on this site will also do whatever they can to match or beat the pricing. The thing is, you'll also likely get an in-depth tutorial on how to use the stuff you buy as well.

I've built a relationship and close friendship with the Angling Outfitter proprietor since the days of Fishing Plus on Ronson where JBs is now. Gotta be a dozen years by now. A truck load of us will make the pilgrimage to Woodstock every once in a while just to hang out and pick up some stuff and also to bust the owner's ballz a little. lol (He likes the abuse) Obviously my close relationship with the owner certainly affects the deals I get but I have also been in the shop where a first time customer will walk in the door and be absolutely blown away with the pricing on a Lowrance unit or Quantum PT Tour Edition rod for example as well as the owner's willingness to sit there on his busiest day and go over the function and proper use of the unit that is being sold and the explanation as to how they apply in practice. I've seen his customer's come in with a map and a pen and watched him give away some really good info. Try that at a big box.

All I can say is it doesn't hurt to go to a local shop and give them a shot. The Lebarons, Canadian Tires and BPSes of the world will always be there for when you need something in a rush, but if you're planning ahead and want to make a bigger order, who do you think is going to be more willing to work with you on customizing an order and getting a better than advertised deal. A big box shop employee doesn't have that ability to negotiate, in fact his salary is not dependent on your purchase or satisfaction, he's just putting in the hours, where the owner is often present at the smaller shops and willing to work with you to KEEP you as a customer, not just get what he can get.

Just my personal experience.

Charles

P.S. I'm not trying to shoot down LeB's. I'm certainly not alone in my bad experiences at LeB's, before Bass Pro came along, if you mentioned LeB's it was usually to cuss them out for bad service. Obviously things have changed for the better. I'm glad they have improved, fishing is a great hobby and shopping for our stuff should be enjoyable. Peace.

FG,

I get my stuff at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock. But I'd bet that Fishing World, JB's and Carras others that have good reputations on this site will also do whatever they can to match or beat the pricing. The thing is, you'll also likely get an in-depth tutorial on how to use the stuff you buy as well.

All I can say is it doesn't hurt to go to a local shop and give them a shot. The Lebarons, Canadian Tires and BPSes of the world will always be there for when you need something in a rush, but if you're planning ahead and want to make a bigger order, who do you think is going to be more willing to work with you on customizing an order and getting a better than advertised deal. A big box shop employee doesn't have that ability to negotiate, in fact his salary is not dependent on your purchase or satisfaction, he's just putting in the hours, where the owner is often present at the smaller shops and willing to work with you to KEEP you as a customer, not just get what he can get.

Just my personal experience.

Charles

P.S. I'm not trying to shoot down LeB's. I'm certainly not alone in my bad experiences at LeB's, before Bass Pro came along, if you mentioned LeB's it was usually to cuss them out for bad service. Obviously things have changed for the better. I'm glad they have improved, fishing is a great hobby and shopping for our stuff should be enjoyable. Peace.

I have to agree with a lot of what you said, especially with respect to how great a guy the owner of Angler's Outfitter's is. I have spoken with him on a few occasions when he is helping out the owner of the new store in Stratford. Very knowledgeable and helpful. So is the guy who owns the new store in Stratford for that matter. However, when it comes to having what I want it just doesn't seem to happen, they both talk a good game yet for 7 trips into the store here I was promised what I wanted would be there the next time.... Long story short, does it really make sense to pay a 40% premium over LeBaron's which got delivered to my door for that 40% less? Just so I can hear some good conversation NO it doesn't to me. As for the flexibility of pricing I have to say if there is flexibility I need to have that reflected in the everyday pricing, because if I nip in somewhere on my lunch hour I don't have time to have a price debate at ANY STORE for anything, so I want the "lower" price posted on the item... like it is at LeBaron's

Now as I am typing this I am just eyeing over the stuff I just picked at the Stratford store 20 minutes ago, which was open today which surprised me. However there were no boxing day deals that I could find or see, but I needed 5 dollars worth of spawn tying supplies when I went in. I managed somehow to wind up spending 27.00 LOL.... Which is ok and now that there is a local guy here. I tend to go there for the small supplies that get used up and I cheerfully pay what he needs/charges over LeBaron's which hopefully will allow him to stay in business so that I have the convenience of getting something in town. But for anything big or when I do my spring or fall 100.00+ stock up I order it or go to Lebaron's to save that 25 to 40%, because I work too hard for my money to do anything else... BTW, I have never had a bad experience at the LeBaron's in Mississauga from a servive stand point.

Not having things in stock, especially driving to Woodstock 7 times, really adds much to the cost if you factor in gas and time wasted. And I have been to JB's Fishing Depot many times, as they have some of the muskie baits that no one else carries. But when I look at the "core" items that I buy, like line, rods, reels, and popular baits (eg. Rapalas, jigs, Powerbait), the little shops never come close. I am not one to try and negotiate. To me, I prefer the retailer offer their lowest prices and compete like that. So when faced with the choice of trying to build a relationship with a smaller retailer (which may or may not work as I'm not the most likeable person), which wastes a lot of my own time and money on the initial purchases, or a guaranteed lower initial prices at Le Baron (and guaranteed low prices in the future), I'll take the guaranteed savings option. And as for fishing advice, this is what OFC is for (at least for me), as well as fellow fishing friends, and especially time spent on the water.

To each their own, but it really does baffle me how some consumers choose to pay more money for the exact same items. Supporting smaller businesses isn't really that compelling to me. I think some of the best businesses support their consumers with low, low prices!

im all about saving a buck.ive found great deals a little tackle shops.they are my fav,i prefer giving my cash to them but i will not shop exclusively.i go to who ever is cheaper sometimes this is the mom and pop tackle shops they will barter and except cash deals.other times is the bigger stores its all about my stretching the buck that i work hard for.