Go Leafs (NF) !!!!!

camillj

OK ... so I think I finaly have an answer for all those people who seem to think it is necessary for me to apologize for being a leafs fan (and call for someones head on a platter - these days it seems to be a coach or a GM) when they arent winning enough... and who want to jump on the bandwagon when we have a little stretch of success...

Answer :

I am a Leafs fan - get over it.

In my world - hockey is a great sport to play, watch and to enjoy ... and being a fan means cheering for your team ... sharing their rapture with their success and sharing in their pain during loss ... to me it means BEING a part of the team ... and enjoying every emotion that comes with it - period.

Furthermore - as any good team member understands, and as hard as it sometimes is to execute - it means NOT SECOND GUESSING every move your teams leadership or team-mates make. The only unforgivable sin is apathy.

And ... the simplest answer I can give to the biggest question of all - WHY ? .... BECAUSE IT IS FUN !

So ... just shut up and enjoy :)

(By the way ... this is not unique to the leafs ... you can replace the word Leafs here for any team name you support - its not about thinking my team is the greatest ... its about loving to support MY team win lose or draw)

GOOOOOOOOOOOO LLLLLLLLLLLLLLEAFFFFFFFFFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK ... so I think I finaly have an answer for all those people who seem to think it is necessary for me to apologize for being a leafs fan (and call for someones head on a platter - these days it seems to be a coach or a GM) when they arent winning enough... and who want to jump on the bandwagon when we have a little stretch of success...

Answer :

I am a Leafs fan - get over it.

In my world - hockey is a great sport to play, watch and to enjoy ... and being a fan means cheering for your team ... sharing their rapture with their success and sharing in their pain during loss ... to me it means BEING a part of the team ... and enjoying every emotion that comes with it - period.

Furthermore - as any good team member understands, and as hard as it sometimes is to execute - it means NOT SECOND GUESSING every move your teams leadership or team-mates make. The only unforgivable sin is apathy.

And ... the simplest answer I can give to the biggest question of all - WHY ? .... BECAUSE IT IS FUN !

Spoken like a true old time Toronto fan - and well said.

Hockey's the greatest team sport played today. I can't think of another team game that requires such high intensity total involvement requiring speed and physicality from everyone on the field of play. Perhaps I'm showing my atavistic side but it sure was fun to play. We need more old farts leagues, with medical care in attendance.

JF

Well said camillj. I also bleed blue and white,unfortunately a little too often. As I sit here I'm looking at my Dougie Gilmour Toronto Maple Leafs plaque. Now there is a Leaf who wore his heart on his sleeve. I loved having that guy wearing blue and white. Sometimes I'll actually find myself too emotionally involved. For instance if they are having a really bad night and getting slammed, I have a hard time watching it at all. I'll get so frustrated I'll just turn the channel (okay and peek every once in a while). I'm sure that happens to every team (yes,even Ottawa), but when it's your team,it can be hard to watch. Let's face it, Canadian teams have had a very tough time trying to compete with the US teams for quite a while and are so used to trying to just survive instead of win, that it's throughout the organization right from scouting all the way to the top. It's a difficult mindset to change and it can't be turned around easily or quickly . Not every team has an owner like Mike Illitch of the Red Wings who is so passionate and wants to win at any cost. Who hires maybe the best coach in the history of the game (Scotty Bowman) , the best scouting team around and builds a complete organization fron the ground up. Just think of the talent they have drafted. It's amazing. The Leafs would certainly be a different team if he owned them. The teachers union on the other hand would like to win, but not at all costs and certainly not at the expense of making less cash. It won't be impossible for the Leafs to win a cup, especially within the new confines of the cap, but it makes it alot more difficult when to the ownership winning is secondary. So everyone, give the players a break. They are playing with the teammates they have been given. Most are playing their hearts out. Look at Sundin. Not everyone loves him, but few have questioned his loyalty or work ethic. He will never be as revered as Wendel Clark (a Toronto god and rightfully so) but he is a great two way player that has incredible "hockey smarts". He has stuck it out with this team (thankyou Mats), so I think it's the least I can do. Go Leafs Go! Go Leafs Go!!

Edited by kennyman