Help me make a decision

keram

This is really a question for hunters ( do not be shy :D ). O.K. I have some budget to spend on my fishing addiction and I'm thinking about portable Ice shelter. So, if you can chip in . Is there any advantage of having dedicated ice shelter (Frabill, Clam, HT) in comparison to hunting blind. I'm just looking only for something for " windchill days :santa: " . So, correct me if I wrong, but I would rather spend 100 $ for blind and spend rest for other toys :thumbsup_anim: , or "waste"

300 - 400$ for ice shelter :dunno: . So the bottom line question is: Can the blind be used for ice fishing ?, any pros and conts???

Thanks in advance

Edited by keram

Something is better than nothing. I have not used either, so I cannot compare. The only downfall to the blind might be the material may not be durable enough for dragging around on the ice.

If you do use the blind, take some decoys with you and set them up. Should keep an area of ice all to yourself;)

Currently I have both a Pop-up blind and a "portable" ice shelter... Just from using the blind I can tell you I doubt it would stand up to severe winds you find on open water. They can be difficult to anchor and although will act as a wind block I doubt they would in fact stand up to any moderate winds commonly found on the ice. If you are looking at ice shelters but don't really want to spend a few hundred bucks you can make your own as I and many have done for around 100$ It all depends on what your looking for, if its to block the wind you can make your own but if its to pull behind a sled or quad, I would look at the ones you can buy... As stated I would NOT trust my blind (which isn't a particularily cheap one) on the ice, the only one I could see is the larger ones with large push out metal frames, similar to the "ice cube" huts but then your looking at a couple hundred bucks again. Hope this helps some.

If you do use the blind, take some decoys with you and set them up. Should keep an area of ice all to yourself.

Yup give that guy plenty o room, just like the dude I saw on the bus wearing a grass skirt, rasher of bacon around each ankle, a sharks tooth necklace and a HUGE wad of bubblegum on his forehead.

Thanks guys for an input

If you do use the blind, take some decoys with you and set them up. Should keep an area of ice all to yourself;)
Yup give that guy plenty o room, just like the dude I saw on the bus wearing a grass skirt, rasher of bacon around each ankle, a sharks tooth necklace and a HUGE wad of bubblegum on his forehead.

Great idea, but I think that dozen pickled eggs for breakfest will work muuuuuch better.

Over the years I have tried a few homemade "walls" to block wind. A friend has an old style blind...that they don't make anymore...which is sturdy enough...but not portable because once you set it up it is a PITA to take down and move.I would imagine any blind to fall into that same catagory. My experience has been that if you do any amount of ice fishing at all and like to be mobile you will eventually end up with a flip style hut. More money but well worth it.

But if you are a penny pincher like me you will try to do it on the "cheap" first. Then when you eventually get a flip style hut you will realize the money and frustration you could have saved yourself if you had just spend that few extra dollars in the beginning.

We all gotta go at our own pace and learn what works best for ourselves. Good luck with whatever you decide.