Fly fishing combo questions

Marko

Hey Fly fisherman out there.

The concept of fly fishing has always amused me and always wanted to give it a go, but non-stop casting always kinda turned me off.

I decided to buy myself a xmass present and get me a begginer`s fly fishing combo.

Since i never fly fished i found couple of different combos on sale cabela`s for about 100.00 and i am not quite sure which one to get.

Here is a link thats going to get you to the list, any info would be much appriciated.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

ps i read all the reviews on the combos and everyone who bought is satisfied.

Didnt realize it was going to be this long...

Thank you very much

I took up fly fishing 6 years back. Each year I've learned a little more. I've read just about everything I can get my hands on, taken some classes, and been fortunate to buddy-up with some experienced friends.

Most everything I've read and heard suggests you should start with a 6 wt rod, 9' for your average height person, with a medium action. This rod will load fairly quickly, and is therefore somewhat forgiving to cast. It is also suitable for many freshwater species. Here's what I suggest. Is there a fly fishing club you can hook up with? If so, I'm sure one of their members would be happy to let you try some of their equipment and give you some pointers. While you don't need to spend a fortune on equipment, you do need the right gear, and you wll need to understand the concept behind the cast or you'll become frustrated quikly. Sign up for a casting clinic, buy some books, The Orvis Ultimate Book Of Flyfishing by Tom Rosenbauser is the best I've seen and will occupy you all winter. I'd do these things before I buy equipment. Then, when you're ready to buy, hook up with a trusted fly shop for that 1st rod. They will save you some misery. I really enjoy the sport, it is a whole new world you're about to enter, so if you enjoy learning you'll love it. Good luck.

If you want to fish exclusively very small ponds and average size streams. Not use any streamers over size 6 and never fish when it's a bit windy.....a 6 weight rod will do the trick.

I only use a 7 to 8 weight rod. I live in brook trout country so I do a lot of fly fishing. There are no perch, crappies, sunfish or bass where I live. It's 90% wild brook trout. They are everywhere. Most of my fishing is in lakes. I use from size 24 to size 8 flies.

I have buddies who come fishing with me. As usual, they bring their 5 and 6 weight outfits and then pass the day swearing at their outfits unless they happen to fish in optimal conditions.

My choice would be the 8 weight outfit any day.

I even make size 28 flies (mostly to give away to my buddies who can't believe how small they are) and I have fished with such a tiny fly on a 3/4 lb tippet. I do fish with size 24 on a 1 lb test tippet very often in the fall. I have no trouble fishing such a small fly with my 7 to 8 weight outfit and I can get the necessary distance to catch those large easily spooked brook trout that wander out in the middle of the lake.

If you want to pitch large streamers, large floating bugs to pike and bass, get a 9 to 10 or even an 11 to 12 weight outfit. But if it's for trout....I would start out with a 7 to 8 weight outfit. If you eventually want to go lighter or a rod shorter than 9 feet later on....fine.

BTW, those combos are a great way to start out. No headaches about what to buy, they are already well balanced out. For the occaisional user, they will last a lifetime.

Edited by Dabluz

I know afew people that have bought the scientic angler combos and been very pleased. Cortland has some cheaper starter sets that are good as well. Heres the link from lebaronsscientic angler kits

Cheers Jeff

What a great thread. I was going to post a similar question today, but as a Christmas present for my father who mentioned earlier in the year that he always wanted to fly fish. I was looking at the starter kits online at Cabelas,BPS and LeBaron. Anyone else have one of these? I think I'll go to the local shop in Paris and see what he has first. He's a fly fisherman, so I'm hoping he has a few choices. Great thread guys. :clapping:

Exactly what kind of fishing are you planning on doing? I know I love fishing small streams and creeks for resident trout and use a 3wt or my 4 wt, but if you are going to target bass/steel I would go heavier 6/7 and if pike or salmon are your thing your looking at an 8+ wt...

Started Fly Fishing in early May and now have 3 rods and 2 reels.

My first was a 4pc. #6-7 Scientec Angler. Which is now the practice rod And gets used the most.

Second is a 4pc. #8-9 Courtland. A gift from Nancy. But no fish on that one yet.

Third is a 4pc. # 6-7 Sage. Wow what a difference and its very accurate.

l like the 4pc. because its compact when walking through the bush with the float rod...

If l was to start again l would still go with the Scientec Angler... great combo... Peace Ken

Edited by Bowshep

I started reading about fly fishing yesterday and there is so much to learn about it.

There is so much usefull info on the net on fly patterns and how to fish specific flies and even what flies the fish will feed on depending on the season and the time of the day.

I spent much of my day yesterday reading about trout flies, i even wrote 2 pages of notes, i just couldnt remember it all in one day.

Most of my fly fishing would be done in Grand RIver, searching for trout anywhere from Belwood dam down to Elora Gorge. Thats the only area on the Grand that i know of that holdsfish and not too far of a drive.

I also would love to try carp fly fishing so i will do that as well once the spring comes and they start feeding.

I will try salmon fly fishing as well next fall, i just have to figure out what flies to use once they get into the rivers. I saw a whole bunch of egg pattern flies so they should work in theory.

I`d love to go steelhead fishing, its just that i dont really know where to go and most of the tribs are frozen and probably will be frozen untill late in the spring.

I think i am picking up my rod on sunday and some flies so we`ll start from there.

I tried finding a fish farm near Kitchener that is open all season around so i can go there and practice but i couldnt find much.

thank you for your input guys, its appriciated

Marko, this is what is incredible about fly fishing. It's far more than just another technique, it is a whole new world. You can make it as simple or as complex as you want. I don't know a thing about the Grand River. How big is the river system, what is the typical discharge at the dam, what types of trout does it hold? Most tailwater systems offer some great trout fishing. I live 7 miles from the Kinzua Dam on the Allegheny River. Mayfly hatches are almost zilch, but there is a regular caddis hatch, and streamer fishing often produces an occaisional big brown. Browns have been taken over 10 lbs, 5-7 lb fish are not unusual, and a typical fish is 2 lbs. Lots of fun but it can be quite technical fishing when the water is flowing hard.

Marko,

Visit Grand River Troutfitters in Fergus. Take your time on a purchase, I know I bought a kit rod for my first fly rod, (St.Croix), but since then I have spent more on better rods, and what a difference it makes when casting.

Good luck, and welcome to Fly Fishing, it will consume you.