First Ice Report!

Rich

Got out on a local pond which I discovered just a few months ago. This pond has a lot of bluegill and bass from what I have seen and it's small so I figured it would be a good spot to start my ice season.

Got out with the new auger, tossed a couple rocks on the ice and they didn't go through. Looked good enough to me! Walked about 5 feet out to find 3 inches of black ice. A little further and I was on 2 inches.. so I decided not to go any further. Dropped Rapala Jigging Minnows and home tied jigs to produce a whole lotta nothing but I was really just out to test the new auger and find some ice. It's been a slow few weeks!

Good to see at least some of the ponds are safe. From what I read on Fishmaster's board Dunnville has some ice as well. Won't be long now as long as we get some cold nights to last!

DSC00873.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

Felt great to be on the ice again as it's been quite a while. I need to get back into ice mode so I can actually learn to locate and catch fish again through the hard stuff. :lol:

Cutting through 2 or 3 inches of ice must be nice. I remember 2 or 3 years ago trying to bore through a foot and a half with my dull auger; makes you feel like pretty wimpy after a few holes! Nice report, can't wait to get out on the ice myself.

Glad to see you got out Rich

I hit the ice yesterday at Petrie Island, in Crappie Bay on the Ottawa river. The fish were a bit shy but I did manage five keepers and they will be tasty. Can't wait to get out again. The bite was feather light but with my LX-5 flasher I was able to see them rise to the jig and if I just pulled it slightly away slowly it almost always triggered a hit.

Tons of fun for sure.... now I can't wait for Walleye Bay to freeze enough to try those fish on for size.... first ice eyes.... can't wait. :clapping: