fishing in Myrtle Beach

moemoe

I am heading down with some friends to Myrtle beach justt after Christmas around New Years, and was thinking of trying to get in a little r and r in.... reels and rods.....I was wondering if anyone knows of a good charter or has had a good experience, 3-4 people would be fishing and looking for something thats not crazy expensive, and ideally looking for something off shore, not bass, any suggestions?

Edited by moemoe

Big Cliff can give you some pointers on pier fishing there. I don't think there'll be many charters running at that time of the year, and even if there was... you'd be hard-pressed to find a calm enough day on the Atlantic in your time frame. You may have a better chance doing an inshore charter trip for Redfish and Saltwater Sheepshead in some of the bays.

Let us know how you do and take lots of pics!!!

Went there for years on the march breack and we used to go bottom fishinng with capt dicks out of murrells inlet. (Just south of myrtle beach) and I think they do some flyfishing out of there as well. I f you want to fish of the beach you will probally get some bluefish and the odd skate. Just go to walmart done there and get the longest surf rod you can and some surf casting rigs and large pyramid sinkers. As far as bait goes pieces of octupus, mullet, clams and shrimp work well. If you have anymore questions shoot me a pm.

Cheers Jeff

there are a few charters that go out of murrell's inlet. Its just south of Garden City which is just south of Myrtle Beach. Friends of ours took a shark fishing charter out of there (which I didn't understand because there are tons of sharks at the Garden City pier...although you are not supposed to target them)

Had a wonderful time pier fishing down there last Jan.. Go to BPS down there and you can buy a good rod, reel, and a small assortment of tackle for about $20.00 (they sell it as a package). You can buy bait right at the pier but it is better to just go and buy some shrimp at the local grocery store.

I caught all sorts of things, skate, sharks, eel, an assortment of smaller pan fish, blue crab, nothing huge, many of the sharks were in the 20 lb range and put up one heck of a fight, the skate will make you think you have something huge on your line boy do they ever give you a good run for your money. You are not supposed to target sharks and must release them but it doesn't matter what you are fishing for, you will probably get sharks anyway.

You'll find that most of the people who pier fish are very friendly and helpful, don't be shy, introduce your self be polite, and you'll make new friends almost instantly. Fishing that time of the year is really slow, I did look into a charter but there wasn't many available and the ones that were were not getting very good results.

Apache Pier is the longest pier on the East coast of the USA (about 1/4 mile if I remember corectly). One of the things I liked about it was that you can come and go as you please, no worrying about staying out all day (a day pass at the pier lets you come and go as often as you want), even if the seas are rough, you don't have to worry about getting sea sick, and it isn't expensive, a day pass was under $10.00.

If you want more info, just let me know.