need help looking for

FinS

i have a 1977 skidoo elan 250 single sitting in my parents garage and i wanna get it running for this upcoming ice season it needs a carb

im looking for a Tillotson Carburetor so if anyone has one and some spare parts i am definitly interested

please help a brother out thanks

i have a 1977 skidoo elan 250 single sitting in my parents garage and i wanna get it running for this upcoming ice season it needs a carb

im looking for a Tillotson Carburetor so if anyone has one and some spare parts i am definitly interested

please help a brother out thanks

That's a little after my time but I believe there were only two carb bodies used on the Rotax motors in those days. There might be minor jetting diffs but I'll bet the carb off any single cylinder Rotax from any of the early years will work. If you get the small body (avoid TNT, Blizzard & large Nordic) then it should be easy to get the jet and the diaphragm kit for it. You might even be able to compensate for the differences with the adjusters if it isn't wuite right.

What's wrong with yer current carb that you think it needs replacement? They're very easy to rebuild.

JF

RR#1 New Lowell, Ont. L0M 1N0 Phone: (705)424-1691 Fax: (705)424-2811 ...

You be surprized what these guys can get for you.

Our factory warehouse was in your neighbourhood for years, maybe still is. There should be lotsa parts floating around there.

JF

What's wrong with yer current carb that you think it needs replacement? They're very easy to rebuild.

JF

i dont know too much on these and im no mecanic

my dad bought a kit last year

but it still doing the same

whenever u pull the cord to start it say 3 times the muffler fills right up with gas maybe 2 to 3 cup fulls i just dont think it is right

it starts up and stays running but as long as u spray gas in the carb

maybe its just a jet thing or some kinda adjustment

its a great little machine for making trails and it would be cool to get her going again any ideas

whenever u pull the cord to start it say 3 times the muffler fills right up with gas maybe 2 to 3 cup fulls i just dont think it is right

its a great little machine for making trails and it would be cool to get her going again any ideas

I honestly don't know if Rotax went to a float style carb by then. Perhaps someone can tell us. But otherwise take off the two nuts that hold it attached to the cylinder. Don't worry if the studs come out. They'll go back in the same way. Flip it over and remove the screws that hold the bottom plate on the carb. Then unstack the plate(s). The diaphragm looks like a membrane. Examine it for tears or leaks. If it's damaged go to yer nearest Skidoo shop and buy a new one. Take the carb with you and I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions but it's not rocket science. Line up the diaphragm with the holes in the body and screw the plates back into place. There should be outlines showing where everything belongs. If that's the style carb you have the only adjustments are the air bleed and the idle screw on the side of the carb. Get some advice on setting them when you buy the diaphragm. There used to be generic settings that would at least get you running. i.e. set the air bleed at 1 & 1/4 turns out and the idle screw wherever the idle sounded best after it was running. That could be different for the newer machines.

Good luck.

JF

I think its the fuel pump guys. If the fuel pump diaphram ruptures it will fill the crankcase with fuel and none will get to the carb. I could be wrong here cause I haven't seen one for years but the symptom fits.

Unless they changed the setup significantly after 1973 there's no fuel pump per se. The diaphragm is the only pump and once it starts to leak it's toast. These old 2 -strokes are very rudimentary.

JF

I missed that part about the gas in the muffler. Are you sure there's that much? Sounds like it's parked on a major uphill lie.

Here's a real oddball thought. Is the tank warm enuf that the gas is expanding and being forced thru the system because the relief hole in the filler cap is plugged? usually that works the other way - keeping the gas from drawing into the carb.

JF

There should not be a fuel pump on that model. It is pumped by a diaphragm on the bottom of the carb. You get 20 people looking for a new carb and maybe 1 might need it the others just need a good cleaning and rebuild. The Elans came with Tillotson carbs which came in two sizes HD and HR. I can't remember which is on the 250 elan. Make sure to get a complete rebuild kit not just a diaphragm kit.Also make sure to get it fixed before riding it. If the muffler is still good you don't want to destroy it they are becoming very hard to find.

Edited by taper

There should not be a fuel pump on that model. It is pumped by a diaphragm on the bottom of the carb. You get 20 people looking for a new carb and maybe 1 might need it the others just need a good cleaning and rebuild. The Elans came with Tillotson carbs which came in two sizes HD and HR. I can't remember which is on the 250 elan. Make sure to get a complete rebuild kit not just a diaphragm kit.Also make sure to get it fixed before riding it. If the muffler is still good you don't want to destroy it they are becoming very hard to find.

I'd bet it has to be the HR. We had HD's on the old 292 Blizzards but I doubt a stock 250 would need one. Even the 399 twins ran on an HR.

JF

Heres a not to do tip.

Never place the WET plugs ATTACHED TO THE PLUG WIRES by the port and pull the rip cord to dry them off. KABOMB.

My buddy was a real nut and did this.LOL

Sheesh. That's why lighters were invited. Reminds me of the crazoids who used to mount a wired spark plug in their exhaust system somewhere and use it to light off huge explosions downtown at night. I guess they thought it drew the chicks. Just sounded really expensive to me but then I was more impressed with speed than noise.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Yep confirmed no external pump on this one. It is in the carb itself. Later model singles have external pumps. So how does raw gas get to the exhaust? It has to go through the crankcase to get from carb. Fuel must be running into the crankcase through the pump diaphram but the pump isnt pumping fuel through the carb. So ruptured gasket is the culprit. Yep...kit time.