GPS/Sonar & mapping questions

fishdawg

well even tho I have managed to allready have nearly all of my 2008 fishing gear budget accounted for... I am looking ahead to a purchase I will probably be making this time next year... I would like to get a GPS/Sonar combo for the boat

currently I have a Garmin E-Trex Legend CX handheld & a Eagle Fishmark sonar - both are performing well for me, but I feel that due to my style of fishing a nice dual unit will bennefit me much more.

I would like to keep the Garmin handheld tho for various reasons, so I would like to have a GPS/Sonar unit that will also support maps forGarmin handheld So I am currently considering a Garmin combo unit, however just about all my partners have Lowrances & I am not too familar with the Garmins....

also I am not sure if there is good legal map software that is compatible with both Lowrance & Garmin units. I would like to be able to store & transfer tracks/waypoints between both units....

so does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that could help me out? Like I said, Ive got about a year or so to "shop around"

thanks in advance...

Hey Dawg

I searched a bit and it looks like lowrance and garmin don't have a lot in common. I do know that garmin makes some decent sonar/chartplotter combos and that way you can keep the same software and share info back and forth between them. Ron has been using a garmin and likes it you might want to fire him off a PM incase he misses this post.

Your best choice to get an answer from the pros would be to call the guys at Radioworld in Toronto. They are quite helpful and might be able to give you a few options.

well.....if I ever get the box opened, I will check out my lxc-25c lowrance and see if I can transfer between my 2 garmin mapping handheld gps and the lowrance, if you can save waypoints to the pc from the lowrance you should be able to send them to a garmin.....but time will tell ,fugawi or ozieplorer should do it

Hey Terry I have the same unit and could figure out a way to do it yet. The only way I found was to open my software from the garmin and write down the figures and them manually transfer them to the lcx-25. Now I don't have a SD reader writer yet and mavbe that might be the way to go for moving info. I'm going to have to break down someday and buy one to get the latest update to my lowrance.

yeah without a doubt, you need a card reader to do it

someone here will have the answer, or over time I will figure it out playing with them

but I really will not get to play too much with the lxc 25c till spring when I get my boat back and can hook it up

Fishdawg, I highly recommend Lowrance. Their producty is above all in fish finding. Look at the number of pros using them and most pros are not sponsored by Lowrance. I have had the chance to use the other brands and high end units too. Mapping is not compatible between Lowrance and Garmin. Garmin has their own Blue Chart and Lowrance uses Nautipathic in HD units like the X-26 HD or buy purchasing a Navionics chart card. Navionics has many charts for waters you may be fishing or boating. www.navionics.com

Enjoy the shopping.

Yo Dawg:

Tough call. I have Garmin 60CSX GPS & also use Lowrance LMS334iGPS.

Maps are incompatible but you can use Fugawi to transfer waypoints between the 2.

IMHO:

Garmin is better GPS.

Lowarnace has better software for FF & excellent service

To me power is number 1 feature & $/watt Garmin is usually the better deal.

Ping me if you wish to discuss...

Cheers

Ted