twin lake outfitters?????

jnic

I'm assuming your talking about the outfitter in Nakina. I haven't fished with them but have been with another up there for the last 7 years. So I can't offer any info on them but the lakes in the area all hold great numbers of fish. We have never had a bad trip up there yet.

Feel free to PM me if you want any other info on the area or any other questions.

Mike

We flew into their Saga Lake camp a couple of years ago.

Booked with them strictly because of price, they were much

cheaper than everywhere else.

I've come to learn over the years that as far as fly-in camps go

you get what you pay for.

If you're not concerned about the accomodations and boats/motors and

basically just want a roof over your head and only care about the fishing

then go for it, 'cause the fishing was very good.

The cabins and equipment are a bit run down though...

If I ever flew with them again I'd try one of the camps on Abamasagi.

It's got 3 camps on it, but it's a huge, beautiful clear lake. Mostly walleye

and pike but it's also got lake trout which is somewhat uncommon for that

region.

We landed on Aba on the way to our camp to drop off something and I was

very impressed with the lake.

It's also a very cheap trip (short flight).

Any other questions shoot me a pm.

Cheers

Whenever I googled sturgeon the site comes up for twin lakes...

For the sake of being a little nit picky this is what bothers me... they quote...

"In Ontario, the most common and maybe the only species of Sturgeon left is the White Sturgeon, which is also called the River Sturgeon. They are extinct or extremely rare in Southern & Central Ontario. The last big and healthy populations of Sturgeon are found in the far north of Ontario in the rivers that run into Hudson Bay and James Bay. Two of the most famous rivers for Sturgeon are the Albany River and the Ogoki River."

There's no white sturgeon in Ontario. They are lake sturgeon the ones they are referring to.

Secondly, they mention how the Ogoki River area has some of the best sturgeon fishing in Ontario, and that much of the provinces stocks have dwindled to nothinng... I won't dispute it, but finding pics like this and advertising their great taste won't do much for Ogoki's fishery either.

Just my 2 cents.

sturgeon1.jpg

I agree MB. Here's another interesting thing they say:

Limit - Sport License: You are only allowed to catch 1 Sturgeon & have 1 in your possession

<li>Limit - Conservation License: 0 in your possession - You are not allowed to fish for Sturgeon with a Consevation License

I caught that tooo Roy, but geeeeeeez Louise, I thought I was being nit picky enough... :lol: j/k

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought it either read bad or was defendable as a typo or something. If not, shame on them. haha

Seeing harvest and a mindset like that drives me a little off, especially when it comes to a fish that only spawns like every 4-8 years, and would take at least 40 I'd bet to reach those sizes..... Sheeesh, it's not like they're an easily sustainble fish like muskie. (hehe - low blow and j/k)

i agree, those pictures bother me too. but almost every flyin has the same. some guy holding a 20 pound pike at the camp. it probably doesn't taste very good and it would not fit in the propane fridges, to mount it. let him go and keep the 5lber. or yousee them with an 8lb pic and they just caught 40 2lbers.

I know for a fact that someone else wrote the script for that website, those words and a lot of the photos don't belong to Twin Lakes.

In fact you can find a lot of the same stuff rehashed on a bunch of other outfitters sites...

Wouldn't be too quick to condemn the guy, although he undoubtedly gave the okay for whatever

content is there.

Ahhhh Mike, I won't slay 'em for the photo. At some point in the near future I have to head up and fish somewhere on the Albany, maybe with them. All part of my quest to fish every main vein feeding the western Bay. Can't leave it too long though, cause after that we have to drive up the northern HWY and do every river on the east. :whistling:

Harricanaw is going to be the tough one if not able to get there this summer. Kapiscau too.

Ahhhh Mike, I won't slay 'em for the photo. At some point in the near future I have to head up and fish somewhere on the Albany, maybe with them. All part of my quest to fish every main vein feeding the western Bay. Can't leave it too long though, cause after that we have to drive up the northern HWY and do every river on the east. :whistling:

Harricanaw is going to be the tough one if not able to get there this summer. Kapiscau too.

I'm guessing you mean the road north of Matagami in QC? I'm practically drooling at the thought of heading up there! :) .

Don't know much about either the Harricanaw or Kapiscau, you'd pretty much be going blind on those trips, but then those kinds of trips are the most fun (at least for me).

I do know for a fact the upper Kapiscau has large resident brook trout. I think it would be an incredible river to paddle!