Need some input.

PatrickGG

Just picked up a spool of 8LB test Berkley Fireline "Smoke" and noticed it has some good features 3Lb test diameter and virtually no memory almost reminds me of the ironsilk line, I just want

to know if anyone here has used the same line and how it performs any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Edited by PatrickG

Well, in 2004 while walleye fishing my biggest muskie (45") was landed on the exact line you bought today, so I have to say it's pretty darn good LOL... I think that if you mostly fish walleye, bass & smaller pike, 8lb fireline will do you just fine. I have since switched to 30lb Power Pro for every day fishing, 50lb on my Muskie setups, I find it still casts very well, and I love having the extra strength to rip thru weeds, snags, etc. It still has a very thin diameter as well.

IMG_1888.JPG

I used to use alot of fireline, and it works okay. But my main problem with fireline is that it is pretty stiff,and by the time it starts loosening up it starts waring out and getting weak.So I tried powerpro, and found it has all the same good features of fireline and is limper tougher and lasts at least twice as long. Now I use almost all powerpro unless I'm trying something new.

Fireline was the first super line I tried. It is made up of thousands of tiny strands of a material call Spectra that are "ironed" so that they bond and fuse together. The process creates a slightly flat or oval line. The Spectra fiber will not hold dye, so as you use it, all Spectra lines will fade to a lighter colour. Fireline, fresh out of the package has a stiff fabric finish on it that will break-in and rinse out after a few casts. With Fireline, as it fades, you will notice fibers sticking out, as if the line is fraying. These are just loose ends that have become un-bonded. I don't think they effect the overall strength of the line very much, if at all, although the line can start to look kind of ratty...grin.

Other super lines, like Power Pro, Stealth, and Tough Line are braided. Their fibers are intertwined to form a round thread. They don't show "split-ends" as much. The braids also tend to be smaller in diameter, for a given pound test, because the braiding process puts the fibers under tension...think of a girl with her hair in a pigtail vs. a ponytail.

Although I am a great fan of Power Pro, I still use Fireline and have bought everything from 10 to 30 pounds over the last 6 years.

Garry2rs

I bought fireline when it came out. I picked up 8lb for carp. And found tht 8lb test borke while fishing for carp maybe cause of zebra mussels. Then I switched up to 14lb test smoke fireline. That did better. How ever like some of the folks here mentioned. The fireline does lose its smokey dark cold and truns gray. They ut turns light gray. And that when I found that the fish can notice the live and will not even come near it.

So Switched to Power Pro green. Powerpro did better cause the line lasts longer than the fireline. Fireline for me... only lasted one season then loses it color and frays. While powerpro's green color blended in with the weeds alot better and even when it loses it color abit its still looks like weeds. Not a gray line going through the water.

Fireline works great for lake trout and whitefish at 70 feet deep. And doesn't retain any water. Or as much water as powerpro. Powerpro will retain and lot of water while your retriving it and it will freeze in cold temps. Thats the only draw back of powerpro will freeze. But if you ice fish in a heated hut and using a tip-up its great. But watch for line burn. Line burn is minor when it comes to fireline cause fireline will cut instead. LOL

I used fireline and powerpro during hard water season.

I will be turning to powerpro from here on in.

Fireline was the first super line I tried. It is made up of thousands of tiny strands of a material call Spectra that are "ironed" so that they bond and fuse together. The process creates a slightly flat or oval line. The Spectra fiber will not hold dye, so as you use it, all Spectra lines will fade to a lighter colour. Fireline, fresh out of the package has a stiff fabric finish on it that will break-in and rinse out after a few casts. With Fireline, as it fades, you will notice fibers sticking out, as if the line is fraying. These are just loose ends that have become un-bonded. I don't think they effect the overall strength of the line very much, if at all, although the line can start to look kind of ratty...grin.

Other super lines, like Power Pro, Stealth, and Tough Line are braided. Their fibers are intertwined to form a round thread. They don't show "split-ends" as much. The braids also tend to be smaller in diameter, for a given pound test, because the braiding process puts the fibers under tension...think of a girl with her hair in a pigtail vs. a ponytail.

Although I am a great fan of Power Pro, I still use Fireline and have bought everything from 10 to 30 pounds over the last 6 years.

Garry2rs

Actually, Fireline is thinner than braided line. Braiding a line introduces very tiny pockets between the fibers. The ponytail thing is because the hairs are not held together when not braided. However, grasp unbraided hair and then grasp the same hair after it has been braided, the diameter of the braided hair is larger. The proof of that is the fact that the hair length is shorter after it is braided. If it is shorter....where did the volume of hair go? The volume of the hair has not changed. If it is shorter....it has to be larger.

I use Fireline and have been using it since it has been available. I also use and used quite a few different braided lines too. 20 lb test Fireline breaks at about 47 lbs. 20 lb test braid breaks between 35 and 40 lbs. Yes, Fireline does get frayed and looks horrible...lol. The 20 lb test Fireline is quite stiff compared to 20 lb braid.

There is one line that is a compromise. It's called Mason Tiger Braid. It's a tad thinner than other braids due to the fact that it's made in 2 parts. There is an inner core of parallel fibers surrounded by a layer of braid. The big problem is making knots with this stuff. Since the outer layer is braided, it slips over the inner core and when cinching the knot, the braid is not as slippery as a line like Fireline that has parallel fibers. When tying knots, care must be made to not cut the outer braid when cinching the knot. I use a simple Palomar knot. I tried the double Palomar knot like I use for Fireline but, most of the time, I would damage the outer braid of the Mason Tiger Braid. The knot has to be carefully inspected after tying and every once in a while when fishing. Maybe a uni-knot would work good....haven't tried that yet with my Mason Tiger braid.

I've had some fireline on my most used baitcaster for 10 yrs. now.

The line seems more supple, castable and easy to tie a knot than ever.

Best line for picking out a birdsnest as well and seems to last forever.

Fireline is my favorite line for braid/superline, I like the Trilene XT for mono.

You should be alright with that purchase.

ehg