Nova Scotia Whale watching...NF

crappieperchhunter

My wife used to visit her grandparents in Annapolis Valley every summer when she was a kid...and hasn't been out east for over 30 years. We have always said we will go...someday. Well 2008 is the year we are going to finally make a journey out east. One thing we both want to do while we are there is some whale watching. Can anybody out in OFC land give me some kinda idea what might be the best time/month to hit the peak whale season...if there is a peak season. Any help would be appreciated. We are planning 2 weeks out there...so if anyone has any other tourist "must see/do" recommendations we would be grateful for them as well. I would like to toss some fishing gear in the car as well. What can I expect? Stream trout,bass whatever. Any kind of general help would be appreciated. I just gotta wet a line while I am out east. Thx to all for any help you can offer.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I visited a friend in Halifax last year in October and flew out with some fishing gear. Having never been out there I just fished some of the many many lakes in the area. The setting out there is very much like northern Ontario. I managed a few small sm bass in the lakes. Many of the lakes have chain pickerel in them but I didn't fish those ones at all. I don't know about whale watching but depending on the time of year you go out there you can probably catch a charter boat to take you fishing in the Atlantic. I went out for 4 hours or so from the Halifax harbour last October at the end of the mackerel season and managed to catch a few mackerel. No where near as many as I would have caught if I was a few months earlier. People on the boat also managed a pollack and a hake. I think its all timing as far as what you can catch out there. I was only out once and not for long so someone should be able to give you some good time frames to find trout/salmon etc.

http://www.novascotiafishing.com/

CPH,

My wife and I have gone with this group 4 times:

http://www.brierislandwhalewatch.com/

July is a good time to see all the species that roam that area. Quite a thrill when you see a biggie near the boat. Bring warm clothes on board with you -- can be very cool even in July.

Meant to add, on the off chance you see nothing, this company gave you a rain check that can be used at a later date to go back out again for free -- check to see if they still do.

Good luck

Edited by musky_man

I spent a few years cruising the Atlantic Ocean in the 60's, and we would sometimes see schools (pods ??) of Killer Whales, and that has to be, without a doubt, one of the most impressive things I've EVER seen anywhere.

In my opinion, their about the most majestic looking critters that inhabit this planet !!!!

Sure hope you get a chance to see some when your down east.