Official announcement on what doc's needed to travel to US - NF

Dutch

With the loonie where it is and causing increased border traffic and also recalling some posts dicussing the issue, I came across an official Government of Canada notice in tonight's paper on the documentation required to travel into the US. Just thought I'd share.

"Attention Canadian Citizens Travelling to the US by Land or Water"

As of JANUARY 31, 2008, if you travel to the US by land or water, a US law will require you to present:

- A government issued photo ID (i.e. driver's license); AND

- A birth certificate or a citizenship card

OR

- For youth under 16, a birth certificate

OR

- A valid passport

No word on what would be required before January 31, 2008, but I would still use one of the above.

With the loonie where it is and causing increased border traffic and also recalling some posts dicussing the issue, I came across an official Government of Canada notice in tonight's paper on the documentation required to travel into the US. Just thought I'd share.

"Attention Canadian Citizens Travelling to the US by Land or Water"

As of JANUARY 31, 2008, if you travel to the US by land or water, a US law will require you to present:

- A government issued photo ID (i.e. driver's license); AND

- A birth certificate or a citizenship card

OR

- For youth under 16, a birth certificate

OR

- A valid passport

No word on what would be required before January 31, 2008, but I would still use one of the above.

Just heard on the news tonite that the American gov't has said they'll accept the new hitech driver's licenses we're apparently getting with a chip or bar-coding or somesuch gizmo to contain citizenship etc.

JF

they should also accept the nexxus card, i'm positive they do, it's a $50 charge, finger printing, retina scan and a sit down interview with U.S. customs to get it tho...

We usually have our birth certificates in hand as we give them our driver lic., very rarely do they wanna see the birth cert....