Walleye numbers are showing up in Bay of Quinte

DT10Sam

Hi Everyone,

I have been extremely busy with the hunting and fishing season and have been getting out for some walleye fishing which have been spotty for me. Some days we would get a large number of fish and the next day we were only washing our lures in the same spot.

Yesterday morning there was a crew of guys from Illinois in here and they were getting walleyes until they got tired of hooking them. I seen their pics on their cameras and they also dropped off 3-12 lbers to get mounted. When I asked them where they were fishing they mentioned Keith's shoal which is just east of the ferry on the south side.

I was out at Keith's shoal in the afternoon and saw 10-12 boats out there and a couple of the boats had nets over the side and doing well.

We were marking a ton of fish there however we could not entice with our lures.

DSC03312.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

Regards

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

Great info Sam!! Hope to see you next weekend at the G2G. We'll bring that frozen walleye with us if you are still interested in it.

Hi Cliff,

That would be great............I'm hoping to get some time off to fish with everyone when they come up here, at least I will make it down to meet everyone in the evening around the campfire.

Regards,

Sam

If all those lines moving left to right at 45 deg are fish I'd guess they are whitefish not eyes.

No they are walleyes.........the same guys went out there today and from what I seen out there in the same area there must have been at least 50-60 boats. Most of the boats were hauling in large walleyes in the 10-12 lb range. I then had fisherman returning to our store letting us know that we were right with the info and that they had a very good productive day. I was also informed that the bite seemed to have shut down in the afternoon same as the previous day. Go figure this is the Bay of Quinte.

Regards,

Sam

For the record, if those are walleyes that deep, every fish caught will die from being brought up from such a depth. Not good for the fishery.

Terry

They won't die and will release just fine if they're brought to the surface S-L-O-W-L-Y!

Don't be in such a hurry to reel your fish in.

Most will troll about 5 feet above the fish and that long and high inverted v shows the walleye coming up to about to 35 feet to feed so with trolling at about 30 feet I don't see an issue with bringing them up too fast. I like the previous poster reel them in slow and should be okay!!!

I fished a school off the outlet that looked like that. They were deferent from anything I'd seen on the graph before in the way they stuck together and moved as one like you would see in an underwater ocean video and like you have there. After fishing them for several hrs I finally hauled up a herring. AS whitefish are similar to herring and are in the bay this time of year and you are fishing right where the guys used to net them by the ton it wouldn't surprise me that you are marking whitefish. Now maybe the guys that fish deep water eyes will say thats what they look like but with the whitefish migrating into the bay I wouldn't take for granted that all those are eyes.

I was told to look for arches and marks with colour in them the reds and yellows most likely are eyes or if not they are big fish. The swim bladders are what the signals reflect and eyes have a lareger swim bladder. I also was informed that the lines and slashes that are jsut black are just shad or whitefish but not eyes. I suppose they could be small eyes but the big ones show up with colour. Now if you dont have a colour finder I guess it would be harder to identify. Now I am not 100% sure but the person who explained this to me does know what he is doing and I trust what he taught me.

Don