Mounting a Kicker

whube

I have a Crestliner CMV 1850 with a 115 4 stroke. I own a Johnson 9.9 4 stroke short (regular) shaft tiller motor.

They are all bass boat folks around here I need advice on how to mount and use my 9.9 as a kicker on my Crestliner. The CMV has a flat bass type deck and the transom only dips down for the big motor. I tried mounting it on the transom with the regular clamp, but it is too high. I looked at those kicker mounts they use on sailboats etc. but i don't see how I could manage the tiller if the motor is mounted lower. I can just use the 9.9 and lock it straight foward if necessary and use the big motor like a tiller to steer. Although I would like to hook it up to steer from the wheel also.

Any ideas??

Thank You,

John

I just like to jump right on her and hope for the best

mount a kicker...ahhh..never mind

here is what you need click the link

kicker

I looked at those, but what happens to the tiller etc. once mounted, does it set back far enough from the transom??

Then does the tiller just stick up in the air??

Maybe this picture will help. Since you have to purchase a new bracket just make sure it's for a 4 stroke as they are built stronger. The steering on the picture is an ez steer but you can rig just about anything.

lowebass4.jpg

I don't have a remote throttle

I just get it running the speed I want and leave it

you do have to made an adjustment now and then but it's not too back

if I have to give it more gas for just a few seconds, I just start the main motor and use it's power

then shut it off and back to the kicker..it works well for me

A lot of the time I will use as my main power in some 9.9 lakes we like to fish in IL you are not allowed to run your big motor at all.

This set up looks like it would work for me, I am going to look into it.

Does the kicker drop doun 8 or 10 inches from the picture when you are using it?

I read up on one Garelick 4 stroke mount and it said not for hauling the kicker on the hiway! I can't take it off every time I want to move, Do you just go down the road with it like the picture??

Thanks for all your help

John

Q..Does the kicker drop doun 8 or 10 inches from the picture when you are using it?

A.. I never really measured it but would guess max of ten. There are stops about every 2 inches along the way so it can be adjusted to where you want it to be..

Q..I read up on one Garelick 4 stroke mount and it said not for hauling the kicker on the hiway! I can't take it off every time I want to move, Do you just go down the road with it like the picture??

A.. I have always felt this was to limit garlock from liability problems, but to be honest if I'm running a few miles on pavement ( like to say Sarnia 35 Km away ) no I don't remove it but do have a little chain and lock system I use to keep it from bouncing. If I'm going on a trip or traveling some real bad logging roads yes the kicker is removed. Just practice common sense and you should be fine. Remember the kicker is hanging on a bracket so downward pressure is much different than being mounted on your transom.

Another option would be a long extension handle for your kicker motor.

You could stand on the rear casting deck of your boat and control your small motor, both steering and throttle, while you continue fishing, and not have to worry about going to the console to steer the motor.

p2175103dt.jpg