Next Le Baron No Tax Sale

fishinggeek

The issue with Shimano stuff is it has to go thru Shimano Canada before it hits the shelves + + +..blah blah blah. I'm even told BPS can't bring Shimano stuff up from their US warehouse, it has to be bought from Canadian distrubution...BUT that said they don't stop them from shipping to Ontario Customers...my Calcutta700B just arrived from BPS online order service in the USA. They bulk ship to the border and then Xpress post it out of Windsor so no extra surprise at the post office when you pick it up..BUT my online order was $301.99US with the $22 shipping charge in. Now that it's here..the slip in the box is the original $301.99 + $29.40 Duty + $18.56 GST for a total of $349.95 The numbers don't add up %age wise to the value and I also presume this is still US funds that are being billed to my card...that the banks will do their magic and make 4% on doing the exchange. Still cheaper than the over $500 it would cost me anywhere in Canada right now. I believe in supporting our economy, but it's darn hard to do so at these prices. Just be cautious of what you are ordering online and if it includes taxes/duties etc or not. Stuff that's made offshore does have an import duty of usually 4.5% on it + the 8% PST and 6% GST.

Correction...thefishinhole.com out in Alberta has lowered their prices quite a bit I see. This is the current cost in Canada for the 700B so I'm still saving $90 or so and if they were in Ontario there'd be another 8% on top!

Item Description Qty Each Price Total Remove

From Cart Move to

Wish List

3855501-CALCUTTA 700B B/C RL $399.95 $399.95 Login

$399.95 Sub Total

$13.95 Shipping ***

$24.83 Tax

$438.73 Grand Total

Edited by irishfield

Wow I thought it was such a simple question! Thanks for everyone's info and opinion. I will definitely be looking into Cabelas now. I just assumed the shipping would wipe out any savings that could be had but I should have looked into it myself. I see how small retailers sometimes must charge more money, but as a consumer, I don't feel I should pay so much more for the exact same product. And as far as fishing advice and spots and stuff like that, that is why I come onto here, watch shows, read magazines, have fishing friends, and get experience. I know they are local, but personally I would not pay for fishing advice, which is really what I am doing if choose to buy tackle at such inflated prices from local stores. That is just my opinion though, and I fully respect others who choose otherwise.

Being in the retail business (not fishing) I feel I should comment. Yes stuff in the U.S. is cheaper right now, sometimes, because of the dollar. The retailer really has no choice in the prices. The product was bought maybe up to a year ago at a set price. The retailer does not get compinsation to sell cheaper. They just get to make even less money. Even the suppliers for these products have their hands tied somewhat. I am in the midst of ordering a lot of product for next year, taking this into consideration. Being a smaller retailer I do not get the big discounts that the big boys get. It's not like gas where the price can flucuate by the second. I still do not understand that situation.

Being a smaller retailer though, I can offer you the service. As does the outfitters that I get all my fishing stuff from. They give me tips on locations, lures to use, support local derbies, etc. There is no hidden costs to shop from them. Such border fees, gas, time, duty, etc. I will pay more to support the local guys because I want to help keep them there. They are a great piece of knowledge for me, and have made my reintroduction to fishing a very pleasant experience. I want to be able to go to them in the future when the dollar changes again.

What goes around comes around. By spending your money at the local tackle shop means they can spend money locally for what they want need. The buck doesn't stop once you buy something. If you spend locally the local economy will grow. If you spend it elsewhere there economy grows.

Not looking for a debate, I just thought I would chime in on how pricing works.

Hey cranks bait,

Thanks for the comments. I grumble about the prices up here as much as anyone but I do understand the retailers can't instantly shift their prices. It's the smart retailer that knows the point in time where they can make up for this loss by dropping prices at just the right time to attract a new larger customer base with price cuts, cover the costs, and gain on the customer upswing.

Have your suppliers prices for next year started to reflect the changing dollar? If not, I'd start harping on them to cut prices. They need to do the same with their producers.