How to define SNAGGIN?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi all,

After reading so many messages regarding snagging,

To me, there are two types of snagging:

1. Unintentional Snagging:

you dip the rod with your egg roe and set the hook when you feel the hit,

someone, maybe the fishing turns around, or the other fishing just happens to swim by,

you snag the fish. Since it is a mishap, i think the person should NOT be punished.

he should be allowed to either land the fish, or try to shake it off, BUT NOT allowed to keep the fish.

2. Intentional Snagging:

you purposely try to snag the fish, for example

a) use spinner bait / spoons with HUGE trible-hooks

B) Purposely put your hooks/flies in the way of Salmons and hook

People who NET / FORK fish should be punished,

not people who just enjoy fishing

just my two cents

Thanks

Really?

how come people use the word "Snagging" whenever the fish is hooked on body parts other than mouth?

Simply because the majority of mostly newbie or novice river fishermen who unintentionally snag or foul hook a salmon or steelhead will still fight the fish to exhaustion and land it.

Most guys with experience will instantly break off the fish and re rig once it's determined the fish is fouled.

A. So the pool won't be tied up needlessly for a long period of time,

and

B. So the fish won't be stressed and might have a chance at survival.

(when a large fish is hooked anywhere other than the mouth, they're infinitely harder to land and use 10X the amount of energy trying to escape. Delayed mortality due to the lactic acid build up is likely quite high especially in the warmer flows of early fall.)

Bottom line, people will still get ticked even if the foul hooking was accidental, and likely lump it into the same category as snagging if certain protocol isn't followed.

i made the mistake once on the river of using the phrase "snagged it" instead of "foul hooked it" to another float angler. the guy got really upset and gave me an ear full... I felt bad because i wasant saying that he had snagged it on purpose because I was fishing right beside him for a while before this happened.

We were fishing a small pool with muddy water and I had seen several rainbows "foul hooked" in this spot in the past few days. none were intentional.

Anyway this guy called me an idiot so I moved on. I didnt mean anything by it.

Right on solopaddler...you hit the nail right on the head ....and thats WHAT GOOD FISHEMEN WILL DO !!!!!! as long as there is salmon in and around the GTA...there will be snaggers out to fish for roe.. :angry: ..thats the only reason they do it,its ALL ABOUT THE ROE....and i have heard snaggers say...well they are going to die anyway,they think that justifies their actions ,and the snagg away..... :wallbash::dunno:

Guest Fishing For Life

I dont know, man

accusing people who accidently hooked fish is a completely bullpoop to me,

i mean, fishing is an entermainment, not a enviromental-save-the-world type of thing, right?

that is why i think people should be allowed to land the fish which is accidentally hooked, but not allowed to keep them

(so that there is one less insentitve for them to purposely do so)

like i repeatedly said, unintentional hook should be treated as mishap, not criminal act.

on the other hand, people who purposely hook fish MUST BE PUNISHED

(I 200% agree with it)

if we really care about fishery, no one should even be allowed to FISH!

dont you think so?

i mean, would you allow aliens to hook you in the mouth and tell you that he will

take off the hook ASAP and revive you from the exhaustion? come on!

or, say, shot you in the leg, treat your wound and let you go in the light of "protecting the world" and "protect human"

that is why i think no one should pretend to be a BUDA or JESUS when it comes to fishing

otherwise, there will be no fun for general public b/c they might have to wait whole day for a properly-hooked-in-the-mouth landing!

all I am trying to say is that,

fishing should be fun and people who intentionally break the regulations MUST be punished

just my two dollars, thanks

B. So the fish won't be stressed and might have a chance at survival.

(when a large fish is hooked anywhere other than the mouth, they're infinitely harder to land and use 10X the amount of energy trying to escape. Delayed mortality due to the lactic acid build up is likely quite high especially in the warmer flows of early fall.)

Bottom line, people will still get ticked even if the foul hooking was accidental, and likely lump it into the same category as snagging if certain protocol isn't followed.

how does leaving a 3-6 foot shot line with a float attached to a fish increase its chances of survival?

I would rather see the fish at least partly disconnected from the rig as think this betters its chance of survival more so than than breaking off 20 or 30 feet of line that is still attached to the fish.

how does leaving a 3-6 foot shot line with a float attached to a fish increase its chances of survival?

I would rather see the fish at least partly disconnected from the rig as think this betters its chance of survival more so than than breaking off 20 or 30 feet of line that is still attached to the fish.

When float fishing in the river, most fishermen use a lighter leader attached to a swivel BELOW the float.

This way, If you get snagged on bottom or foul hook a fish, you can palm your real and create enough tension to snap the leader. Done this way, you lose a hook and a couple split shots at most. Your float is still on your line and so is the swivel below it. You tie on a new leader and hook, put on some splitshot and you are good to go again.

Edited by Fishnfiend

Ah, I see. I do snap my rig off this way when I am hooked on the bottom. never thought about using that method on a foul hooked fish, Not that it happens to me often.

Thanks, Fishnfiend.

I once saw a guy break some other guys line with a cigarette because he had a foul hooked fish and was probably going to keep it.

Guest Fishing For Life

I still do not understand the whole point of breaking off your line to let

go the fish when it is foul-hooked

I am not convinced that leaving a hook and line on the fish

is better than taking them off after landing the fish

imagine, what if the line is tangled with branches when the fish swims?

what if branches get caught by the hook?

explain it to me, please

Guest Fishing For Life

Exactly,

so what should we do when we accidently hook the fish at the wrong spot?

I just want to clarify this so that I know what to do nex time

without getting accused by other "experienced" fisherman

Thanks in advance, guys

So the fish won't be stressed and might have a chance at survival.

To re-iterate the point....

This assumes the fact that the fish is tail hooked or otherwise hooked in a fashion that increases it's leverage.

Would you then suggest that a musky that takes a solid swipe at a 12" Jake and misses and gets hooked in the back would then be better off dragging that lure around?

How many people are able to tell without a visual confirmation that a fish is foul hooked until the fish is landed???

I disagree wholeheartedly that cutting of a fish is a better option than landing and removing the hook.

When you talk about salmon, the point is moot since the salmon are put and take anyway.

chances are if you hook a fish in the mouth it is going to come up to the top of the water and headshake...there is a noticeable feel when a fish is shakkign it's head back and forth that can't be mistaken.

You put a hook anywhere else on a fish it's most likely just gonna rip around the pool and your line will be vibrating. Headshake feels alot different compared to a fish hooked in the arse

Break off your fish that are snagged, far better chance they will survive and whoever thought that you need stronger line for bigger fish was clearly an idiot...anything over 8lb in most lake ontario rivers is complete overkill and un-neccessary, just because the fish weighs 20 lbs doesnt mean you need 20 lb line

Nate

This assumes the fact that the fish is tail hooked or otherwise hooked in a fashion that increases it's leverage.

Would you then suggest that a musky that takes a solid swipe at a 12" Jake and misses and gets hooked in the back would then be better off dragging that lure around?

How many people are able to tell without a visual confirmation that a fish is foul hooked until the fish is landed???

I disagree wholeheartedly that cutting of a fish is a better option than landing and removing the hook.

When you talk about salmon, the point is moot since the salmon are put and take anyway.

Unless the hook is within 1-2" of the mouth, it is quite easy to tell if it foul or fair,...comes through experience really,..headshakes vs a sideways struggle is one sure way,...

regarding the debate over whether the fish should be fought and released properly if foul hooked or just broken off,....there really should be no debate,..the regs are wrong,....if you hook a fish legit in the mouth you can play it out and land and release, or even keep it...no problem....if it is hooked in the tail of belly,...apprarently playing it out and releasing it tires the fish out too much and it will die,..am I missing something?

Not too mention what these fish go through to get to where they are going can involve 10000x more energy than a 5 minute fight.

As for the fish swimming around with a hook stuck in it and line etc trailing,..well If someone was fishing properly ,..it would be a #12-14 tiny hook and maybe 2-3' of 6lb lead,..not that big a deal since the hooks are supposed to work their way out in a day or 2.

Probably the most important point is that any experienced steelheader will tell u there are many ways to AVOID fould hooking a fish. Just My $0.02

chances are if you hook a fish in the mouth it is going to come up to the top of the water and headshake...there is a noticeable feel when a fish is shakkign it's head back and forth that can't be mistaken.

You put a hook anywhere else on a fish it's most likely just gonna rip around the pool and your line will be vibrating. Headshake feels alot different compared to a fish hooked in the arse

Break off your fish that are snagged, far better chance they will survive and whoever thought that you need stronger line for bigger fish was clearly an idiot...anything over 8lb in most lake ontario rivers is complete overkill and un-neccessary, just because the fish weighs 20 lbs doesnt mean you need 20 lb line

Nate

Thanks Nate,..took the words right out of my mouth,...somewhat...lol,....I landed a 25lb nook on 4lb drennan lead,...quality is quality!!!

The original poster Fishing For Life made reference to using a roe bag so I assumed he was talking about river fishing for trout and salmon.

Of course you're right Rick if you're talking about virtually any other type of fishing.

As far as migratory trout and salmon go though, it is very easy to tell if the fish is fouled, and

yes I do believe the angler should break the fish off once it's determined to be snagged, for reasons already mentioned.

Although, by law you're not required to do so....

Nothing wrong with a healthy debate :) .

Guest Fishing For Life

I wonder how it feels like to walk around and play basketball with hooks in your fingers ... and remember, they are size #12 or #14 hooks

I guess you will just ignore pains whenever hooks are pushed or better yet get yanked by other people ..

very interesting points you guys have, however there is still no evidence to prove that

leaving hooks and lines on fish is better than letting it go after removing them ...

has anyone read or seen such a report like that?

Guest Fishing For Life

I wonder how it feels like to walk around and play basketball with hooks in your fingers ... and remember, they are size #12 or #14 hooks

I guess you will just ignore pains whenever hooks are pushed or better yet get yanked by other people ..

very interesting points you guys have, however there is still no evidence to prove that

leaving hooks and lines on fish is better than letting it go after removing them ...

has anyone read or seen such a report like that?

Do you belong to P3TA? :)

Seriously though, believe what you will. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.

well seeing as a fish can't feel the pain of a hook being set into it's mouth I highly doubt it feels anymore pain when hooked anywhere else on the body. Fish don't have quite the same nervous system as us and beleive it or not they are very efficient of getitng hoosk stuck in their body out. and the ones that they can't get out will rust out on their own eventually

Bottom line you snag a fish break it off and suck up your loss of a 15 cent hook

Nate