Spooled in the surf

ecxstriper

I had a chance to get out and do some surf fishing Sunday, but with the warm weather there was nothing going on except for a few Sea Robins. I got tried of walking and throwing plugs and decided to drift some eels for a while.   As it is every Sunday there wher quite a few boats but then again it is the Ocean with plenty of room for everyone. boats. I see these two guys trolling about 10 yrds off the beach which is a pretty good idea, but as they approach my postion they show no signs of going around my line. I yell out to them

that I have a line in the water. Got a wave back for my effort and I think this will be the end of it but no!! Line starts peeling off my reel . :wallbash: Fourntaly I had set my drag real light.  I lost 300 yrds of power pro(35$)  and another 200 yrds of 12 Lb mono and eel and and my favorite rig. After much communicating of my displeaser with my hands the guys in the boat try and leave but no good . 300 yrds of braid and 200 yrds of mono will really mess up a prop. The best part for me was that they where about 8 miles from the nearest maraina with a busted boat and stuck . 

I'm sure you will do the right thing and hunt them down to pay for the damage to their boat and compensate them for their trouble as its against the law to obstruct the flow of boat traffic and you were the one in the wrong here.

The boater was in the wrong.

According to New Jersey regulations......

"It is unlawful to operate a PWC above idle speed within 50 feet of a shore or 50 feet of a person in the water."

I could be wrong but I think that trolling would require the boat to be operating at a speed above "Idle".

For additional information on New Jersey Boating laws and regulations visit:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/ and http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm.

Also refer to New Jersey Statutes Annotated, Title 12 – Commerce and Navigation, which

includes the New Jersey Boat Act of 1962, as amended. Go to http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/

and click on Statutes from the menu on the left to get to Title 12.

I was wsn't all that upset after I saw the boater had more trouble than I did. It is actually pretty funny now. It wasn't a matter of legality if you want to get technical the boater illegally removed my fishing line from the water . It is a matter of being considerate and not putting others out because you can. Thanks for the show of support and replies

So where are the fish pictures??? LOL. I know you have some, you've changed your avatar!!

Too bad about those guys in the boat, but at least he had some issues of his own after that stunt!!!

I'm working on my post just been to busy repacking my spool!! Lol

Edited by ALEX