Thanksgiving with the Neighbours

Garry2Rs

My fishing buddy Curtis hasn't shown up yet this weekend. Since I was unexpectedly on my own, my neighbours Mike and Natalie, asked me to come over to their place for Thanksgiving dinner.

I asked them to go fishing with me while the bird was in the oven.

We didn't want to go far from home, so we scooted around the corner to a little cottage lake inside the Kawartha Highlands Park.

The Fall colours are still very pretty, although some trees are nearly bare.

Lake_w_4.JPG

Everything photographs well under an overcast sky, there are no real shadows, only a lovely flattering wrap-around soft light.

Lake_w_3.JPG

On film a pale pink or straw colour warming filter takes care of the overly blue skylight, with digital cameras you can correct it on the computer

Lake_W_2.JPG

After yesterdays showers things were slower than usual, but we had fun with the Rock Bass and still managed to land and release eight or ten Smallmouth. Natalie lead the way with a mixed bag of 19 fish including the big fish of the day... Unfortunately my batteries died, and I only have a picture of her first and smallest Bass.

Lake_W1.JPG

We used 4 inch Senko type worms with chartreuse tails and four inch worms with twister tails on tiny jigs.

I hope your Thanksgiving Day was just as much fun...grin.

Garry2R's

....Well I had a good day Garry, thanks. It certainly was not as fun as yours as I spent the day in the kitchen preparing a feast. The reward for all my hard work was watching everyone pig out. :D

Now all I need is to get out and enjoy a good day of fall fishing.

Hi Garry,

We fished what I believe was the same lake on Saturday (the dock in the 1st pic is very familiar looking). We had almost no luck at all. Lotsa rockbass and a few dinky LM & SM. I tried just about everything in my box and the most productive bait was my Pop'R.

It's a beautiful lake with lotsa rocky structure, I'm sure we'll give it another try next year. There's gotta be some lunker SM hiding in there somewhere. We also checked out the launch at the lake next door. A bit of a rougher ramp, but I think I could manage.

I sold a boat and motor to a guy from Lake "W" this weekend. He told me he's getting lots of Walleye at dusk...He even shared his hot spots...Who wants to be my friend now!?!?...GRIN

We can talk about this later, I am busy packing for Arizona right now. I hope to get away this weekend. Say hi to the ice fisherman for me...HAHAHA.

garry2rs