Late Report - BOQ Labour Day

Andrew

Alright, I realize the report is extremly late, but better late than never right?

We arrived early Saturday morning of the labour day weekend. We stayed in Picton @ The Sportsmen Motel. This was an excellent motel that was clean and even had a small kitchen in the room. THe only thing I found somewhat unusual about it was the fact that the room had no phone.

Having never really been in the area before, we had found Foster's Fishing Center on the internet and ended up mooring the boat there for the trip. It was amazing how low the waterlevels were and that they seemed to drop even more overnight!

Most of our fishing was done in the Telegraph Narrows and other areas nearby. Saturday's fishing was extremley difficult. We caught about half a dozen silver (or white) bass but that was it. We lost what looked to be an albino/silver Pickeral right at the boat. We were on the water from about 7am til 8pm.

Sunday morning had us going out in very heavy fog, once we got away from the dock visibilty was probably about 10-20 feet. Having never really been out in a boat much in the past I was actually a little concerned. We very quickly lost any sense of direction, and without a map we were in disagreement about which direction shorelines were (N,S, etc) Then I remembered that I had brought along my GPS unit and left it on most of the day yesterday so we were able to follow our old track. The GPS definately saved us a lot of time for the first couple hours until the fog lifted!

We started the day again fishing small inlets and weeded areas for bass or pike and we never had a single bite. I think the reduced water levels probably had a big effect on the fish.

We left the narrows and were fishing some choppy water mid afternoon when I caught the first pickeral of the trip. Also my first ever and obviously my PB!

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

We also caught a few perch and some more silver bass while fishing this area. Maybe someone can tell me if these are in fact silver or white bass?

IMG_0976.jpg

After trolling another area later in the evening we caught a few small pickeral and the only smallie of the trip

IMG_0980.jpg

After another 12+ hour fishing day we pulled the boat out of the water and headed back to the motel for my first pickeral meal! Damn was it ever tasty!

IMG_0989.jpg

As you can see that fish was more than enough for 2 people. It measured somewhere between 24-27" and weighed 3.5-4LBS (can't remember exactly a month later).

Regardless of the lack of fish, it is definately great to get out on the water. As a shore fishermen it was definately a great experience!

Andrew.