Kind of a silly fly tying question

Yellow14

I am in need of some flys and want to tie some of my own. I also happen to have a surplus of cat fur this time of year at home. Has anyone ever tried using cat fur for flys and how did it work out?

Please, I am just trying to be creative here with my materials. :whistling:

I have a couple of furballs walking around eating food I pay for and making me clean their litter box. If they can help me catch a salmon or steelhead then I won't feel so used by them.

I thought about using one of em as muskie bait after it barfed on my bed after just putting new linens on it but I figured I would get in trouble with the OSPCA.

I have a couple of furballs walking around eating food I pay for and making me clean their litter box. If they can help me catch a salmon or steelhead then I won't feel so used by them.

I thought about using one of em as muskie bait after it barfed on my bed after just putting new linens on it but I figured I would get in trouble with the OSPCA.

I've often thought that the smart way to maintain a house cat would be to have it stuffed. No more feeding, no more litter box, no more hairballs, dead mice and birds dropped at yer feet. When you go away no special arrangements needed, just dust old Kitty off when ya get home. If you want the sound effects have the taxidermist implant a little audio device (preferably not under the tail) that would offer up intermittent purring sounds triggered by a motion sensor device. I've never found cats to be all that personable anyway so why put up with any aggravation from them?

You could kill two birds with one stone (no pun intended) if you were to keep Kitty handy to your tying bench and just clip the odd pinch of fur for the ties at hand. Admittedly Kitty might get a little bald looking over time but hey, it would make for easier dusting.

JF

It's already been mentioned twice, but yeah, cat hair works just fine as dubbing.

It can be used as an effective substitute for a bunch of standard nymph patterns.

Another great source of free tying materials is your local furrier (they make fur coats).

I know they're becoming pollitically incorrect, but they're still around and usually have

no qualms about giving away any leftover scraps.

One of my favourite patterns for years was a strip leach streamer tied with mink fur :D .

Be creative, you're imagination is the only constraint when it comes to developing and

tying your own flies...