Another Hvac Question...

Gerritt

is there any other benefits to going to a high efficiency I am missing?

Gerritt.

If you have a high efficiency furnace you don't need to use a chimney. They are vented through the wall via a plastic pipe.

If you do not have any other appliances that require a chimney, then you may be able to remove the chimney and use that space in your house.

I think your logic is backwards. There is more benefit to having an high efficiency furnace in an inefficient house than there is in an efficient house.

You are absolutely right John. But I think that in Gerritts case, a mid makes more sense simply because he stated what his heating bills are now and what his savings will be. But you are correct in the fact that an older, less efficient house would benefit the most from a high efficiency furnace.

Especially if you duct in the combustoin air from the outside(90+).The furnace wont pull the combution air thru all of the nooks and crannies of the house.Went with the 90+ in the old and new section of the house and it saved me quite a bit.The wood stove helps in the romm it is in but I'm sure its a break even thing for the overall house efficiency.

Joe

For those of you interested (Joe) in the furnance I bought.. (sitting in my basement now for installation tommorrow. :)

Here are a few links..

http://www.catalog.payne.com/gen/proddesc_...ml?SMSESSION=NO

http://www.payne.com/corp/details/0,,CLI1_...ml?SMSESSION=NO

The Models PG8M and PG8J (low NOx) deliver soothing comfort while taking it easy on your budget. Offering 80% AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency - the higher the AFUE, the better), these furnaces save money on operation, especially when compared to older, 60 - 70% AFUE gas furnaces. And, you can count on saving year-after-year because of the long-lasting performance you expect from Payne.

EFFICIENT, LASTING COMFORT

• Payne’s four-pass heat exchanger ensures high-efficiency heating. This key component is built to last and backed by a twenty-year limited warranty.

SMOOTH OPERATION

• You can relax in quiet comfort thanks to Payne’s soft mounted inducer .motor, which reduces operational noise.

MONEY-SAVING EFFICIENCY

• Payne’s hot surface ignition improves the efficiency of furnace start up and operation by eliminating the standing pilot light.

QUIET, RELIABLE START-UP

• Payne’s slow opening gas valve quietly starts the heating cycle so you can enjoy the warm comfort of your home without distractions.

PRECISE COMFORT CONTROL

• You can count on accurate furnace control and performance because the electronic control board.

ATTRACTIVE FINISH

• The pre-painted, scratch-resistant cabinet is corrosion-resistant for long-lasting good looks.

Click to return to the top of the page.

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

Hey Joe... it comes off the same line as the carrier unit..

the t-stat wire is being replaced and a new programmable t-stat installed...

I think I did ok in terms of priceing... 1750.00 CDN for the furnace, installation, new t-stat and chimney liner.... hell cheapest place I found for the liner installed was 400.00..

I think I am getting a good deal considering my in-laws just paid 3000.00 3 months ago for a mid (non brand name) and did not require a liner...

Gerritt.

Daplumma: Question, if I'm going to install a new gas furnace, do I have to replace the B vent chimney that's in there now? It's been in there for 20+ years. Thanks.

Unless your b vent galvanized exterior is rusted, which is possible above the roof line, then it's fine. I've never seen the aluminum lining wear out. If it's rusted above the roof line, then you only need to replace the top section.

Unless your b vent galvanized exterior is rusted, which is possible above the roof line, then it's fine. I've never seen the aluminum lining wear out. If it's rusted above the roof line, then you only need to replace the top section.

When I installed my gas dryer I was told that I could not use aluminum vent pipes because they would react with the exhaust.

Would this not also happen with a furnace and aluminum liners? Or, was I misled?

We vent dryers with aluminum John, don't think you should have a problem.

Fisherman, if you have an existing B Vent chimney you can use it for your new furnace, it just has to be sized properly. If you are going with a mid and have a conventional vent water heater, likely should be a 5" chimney, if you go to a high and still have a conventional vent water heater you would need a 4" chimney. Whatever the configuration is, the contractor will put the right size aluminum liner down the existing B Vent to code.

Gerritt, good luck with the install and don't forget to send in the rebate form for the programmable stat - you will get $75 dollars back from the OPA and $15 from Union Gas - $90 for fishing stuff!!!!!! Sounds like your parents either got some added features with their furnace (2 stage heat, variable speed motor) or some contractor did very well for himself.

Okay, did the exterior inspection, no rust, still looks fine. It appears to be a 6" exterior, 5" interior. After seeing Gerritts 4 tube heat exchanger, I'm beginning to wonder, mines only a 2. Mybe time to start looking for something a bit more efficient. 65000Btu input, 49oooBtu output.