My Friends Last Fishing Trip

solopaddler

So sorry Mike to hear about your friend Kareem. Keep remembering all the great times you've had together. Some people go through their whole lives without experiencing such a special friendship with someone. My condolences to all of you.

DebS

I've been reading this thread with mixed feelings. I've witnessed close friends' and relatives' demises and know how hard it is for folks to put themselves close to those who are "bound for glory". I've seen very caring people who just couldn't bring themselves to go face to face with the condemned. They didn't know how to handle it, so they didn't. For that I heartily commend you guys. I know how hard it is. I've been there, and I know how tempting it is to just walk away and ignore them, taking the easy road.

On the other hand think about your friend's bravery, or fortitude, commitment, love, whatever it's called, for not letting his infirmity get in the way of working with you guys to give him what may well be his last hurrah. Too often those who are sick become so immersed in their own problems that they take their friends' support for granted.

So my hat's off to Kareem too. He's proved what a trooper he is, and what a good friend by his own actions. You're a good lot in my book, all three of you. Would that everyone dealt with these kinds of circumstances with the same poise.

JF

Would just like to say that the comments and pm's from each and every one of you guys is

greatly appreciated.

Kareem is indeed a special person. The life he's led and the obstacles he's overcome is nothing

short of remarkable, believe me I could tell some incredible stories...

He's always been an inspiration to me and will continue to be one.

I met with him this morning before I left for work. Although he's rapidly going downhill, thanks

to a change in his meds the pain is now under control and he's much more aware of what's going

on around him.

Believe it or not he says he wants to go fishing this weekend :) .

If there's any possibility of making that happen I will.

Once again thanks everyone, you've been great.