Bobber and minnow...

Dozer

Hello everyone,

Been slamming the Bluffs for the last few days, put about 8 hours in, all night fishing. Few hook ups, few hits, nothing landed, I can see the fish!

I'll be heading of to Sturgeon Lake in a few weeks for some Walleye, Musky, and Perch fishin'.

Now, everytime we go to our spot I always rig up a heavy duty rod, with a heavy duty bobber, with heavy duty line and a big @$$ minnow with a decently sized single hook through its back just above the spine. Works fine for me, I've brought in some nice fish with it before. But I've also missed some spectacular hits.

My question, is there a better method of hooking a big minnow to a float type setup? We are shore fishing and theres a few of us going so we've got one rod thats setup with a minnow and just pound the water with spinners, cranks, jigs, etc. with another.

Thanks a bunch!

Whoa!

Whoops, I didn't know that. I mean, poop, the countless number of fisherman who came through and spoke to us, even the OPP rolled on us twice and nothing was mentioned. I guess its somethin' the C.O.'s take care of. Well, from now on we'll be fishing with one rod only... shame on me, I should look into rules and regulations myself opposed to listening to others and doing what they say. Damn, and I thaught my source was reliable. Oh well, thanks for the heads up guys! Appreciate it!

Keep the minnow tips comin'!

I've hook a minnow or 2 in my lifetime and have found that inserting the hook point thru a nostril and pushing the hook down to come out under the jaw keeps minnows alive the longest. After you've hooked a few of them you will find the spot that offers the least resistance to the hook, this is the sweet spot. This is a bare hook rig and not intended for a leadhead jig because the minnow will be upsidedown on a jig, but on a bare hook the minnow will "right" itself or try to and give a lot of swimming on it's side action that is indicative of a wounded/distressed minnow.